Need advice on 3 point aerator and spreader purchase

/ Need advice on 3 point aerator and spreader purchase #1  

ghozt911

Tractor
none
I have a Kioti LB1914 compact utility tractor, with industrial 6-12 front tires and 9.5-20 rear tires. It weighs 2130 pounds without attachments. I have a little over an acre of sodded areas on a couple of residential lots. I like to aerate twice a year and fertilize 3 times a year. So far I've been hiring out the aerating at fair cost, with companies using the small walk-behind units. I've been using a small two wheeled spreader to fertilize, a very tiring process for this much turf. I've been thinking of buying 3 point aerator and spreader, but my question is will the weight of the tractor rut up the turf in doing so. I don't want to invest in all this equipment if it's going to create added problems. On the other hand if it works without damaging the turfs, it would make aerating and fertilizing a snap. Typically to get decent cores for aerating you need the ground just a bit soft. So does anyone have experience using the tractor for aerating and spreading? Will driving the heavy vehicle rut the turf up? Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!:dance1:

/ Need advice on 3 point aerator and spreader purchase #2  
Hard to know for sure as it would depend on how soft the ground is. I use 26 12 12 hdap tires on my GT which weighs about 1300 lbs and it does well, I try to keep the weight to a minimum. Obviously turf tires would be best.

/ Need advice on 3 point aerator and spreader purchase
Thanks for the response. I'll check into those tires.

/ Need advice on 3 point aerator and spreader purchase #4  
I have a Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader (33-hp/1,900 pounds) with Industrial Tires, which came standard on the B3300SU.

I run the tractor over my Florida Saint Augustine lawn several times per week, often with an implement on the 3-Pt., without damage. Under the lawn the soil is WELL DRAINED sandy-loam.

R3 Industrial Tires are wider and less aggressively ribbed than R1 ag tires.

LINKS TO FERGUSON YARDMAKER:

http://www.equipmentbarn.net/4Ft.-YardMaker-Aerator-With-Hopper-3-Point-Hitch.html

http://www.fergusonmfgco.com/aerator_products.htm

Last edited:
   / Need advice on 3 point aerator and spreader purchase #5  
I have a Kioti LB1914 compact utility tractor, with industrial 6-12 front tires and 9.5-20 rear tires. It weighs 2130 pounds without attachments. I have a little over an acre of sodded areas on a couple of residential lots. I like to aerate twice a year and fertilize 3 times a year. So far I've been hiring out the aerating at fair cost, with companies using the small walk-behind units. I've been using a small two wheeled spreader to fertilize, a very tiring process for this much turf. I've been thinking of buying 3 point aerator and spreader, but my question is will the weight of the tractor rut up the turf in doing so. I don't want to invest in all this equipment if it's going to create added problems. On the other hand if it works without damaging the turfs, it would make aerating and fertilizing a snap. Typically to get decent cores for aerating you need the ground just a bit soft. So does anyone have experience using the tractor for aerating and spreading? Will driving the heavy vehicle rut the turf up? Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!:dance1:

I have the Kubota 3200 with indusrial tires. I am on numerous yards with no ruts unless the ground is soaked. You have to use good judgement there. I purchased the 3 point pto spreader for my 1 plus acre yard. I have had 400 lbs in the spreader with no issues, but I left the FEL on. Purchase one with the plastic hopper and cups (device on the rotating plate that slings the fertilizer) and you will be better off. Wash thoroughly when done. Amen on the soft ground to get good cores. I pull a 1200 lb aerator on my yard. The only time I am in danger of creating ruts is when I lift the aerator to make a turn. Disengage 4WD or make wide sweeping turns. I don't think you will rut up the yard if you take care. Your Kioti is a good 400 to 600 lbs heavier than either my 7510 or 3200. Take that into account. I also use a 60 gallon sprayer on the 3200 with no issues. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast where the ground can get pretty soft after a rain. I usually wait at least a day after a rain to get on yards.

/ Need advice on 3 point aerator and spreader purchase
Thank you all for the great information. Now onto checking out some 3 pt spreaders and aerators.