Help Identifying this plant

/ Help Identifying this plant #1  

ROYCEWILLARDOKLAHOMA

Bronze Member
Tractor
MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/
Does any body know what this is. we found it cleaning up an old house. the inside resembles corn cob texture with seeds removed. seeds maroon in color. seeds are very hard. the leaf things on top are dry and papery like dry onion skins. Well Now Im having trouble uploading the picture, Ill have it up in a while Thanks

Attachments

• 2013-03-09_20-44-28_93.jpg
    2013-03-09_20-44-28_93.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
   / Help Identifying this plant #2  
Looks like heirloom popcorn. Don't know the variety. Can be popped or used for decoration.

/ Help Identifying this plant #4  
I believe you are both right. It is strawberry popcorn, a pretty neat seed and kinda hard to find.

/ Help Identifying this plant #5  
I know baker creek heirloom sells it. I think I ordered some this year if my wife did not veto it.

/ Help Identifying this plant
I know baker creek heirloom sells it. I think I ordered some this year if my wife did not veto it.

well Im fixing to grow us a crop of it then, and if you guys dont find the seed Ill have plenty next year lol, Ill mail you some and we can put this stuff back in production.

/ Help Identifying this plant #7  
well Im fixing to grow us a crop of it then, and if you guys dont find the seed Ill have plenty next year lol, Ill mail you some and we can put this stuff back in production.

Sounds like a plan!!!

/ Help Identifying this plant #8  
That is an alien space pod and you either need to bury it 20' underground or nuke it from space...it's the only way to make sure. I am probably already to late and your computer screen has gone blank.

/ Help Identifying this plant #9  

Test the germination rate by first placing a few kernels between damp/wettish paper towels and place in a plastic bag in a warm area. Some older corn doesn't germinate well. You might have to plant much closer if a poor germination rate.

Might also check to maker sure it's "open pollinated" and not a hybrid. If it's a hybrid you'll wind up with one or the other parent and not the offspring. I'm pretty sure yours is OP.