Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"?

/ Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"? #1  

sjm1580

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740HST, Takeuchi TL220, Kubota zd221
At a retail price of around $2750 for a ZTR with a Kawasaki 21.5 hp motor does anyone have any thoughts of the Huster Raptor? I will be mowing a 1 acre property with mild slopes.

Thanks0;)

/ Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"? #2  
Well, it's new and Hustler's "entry level" Residential ZTR. It may be a cut above what you find in big box retailers for the money, but the sealed, non-servicable trannies(I assume HydroGear EZT's as I couldn't find any real specs on the Hustler website) and FR(Residential) series Kawasaki will probably mow 1 acre OK. I wouldn't expect commercial-grade endurance or cut quality, but again it would probably be better than what you find at Lowes or Home Depot. Even the Hustler Sport model is pretty well an entry level ZTR and you have to move up to the Fastrak or Fastrak Super Duty to get servicable trannies and more commercial-like characteristics. I would recommend you go to a Hustler dealer, look at all of the models, see if they'll let you demo them and then decide which fits your needs(and budget) best. Personally, I have a little over an acre and I made an offer on a 54" Hustler Fastrak Super Duty for the same I paid for my 52" Gravely Commercial. The dealer wouldn't budge and wanted $200-$300(plus tax) more for a "Residential" ZTR than I paid out-the-door for an entry level true Commercial unit in my Gravely. Hustler definitely makes a good product though, it's just a little early to tell on this new offering.

/ Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"?
Thanks for the reply and great input. There is a local Gravely dealer nearby and I will certainly go and see whats what. Do you have any experience with the entry level Gravelys? I certainly hate to buy junk up front, but if there is a quality machine out there as I only mow an acre once a week (twice a month in the winter) I would like to kick the tires and check them out.

/ Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"? #4  
sjm1580,
I definitely would not discourage you from checking out the Gravely's if you have a nearby dealer. They have some very nice Residential ZTR's(the ZT series, the ZT XL series and the ZT HD series). Their MSRP runs $2299 to $5199 for models with a 34" to a 60" deck and you can go to the website(see link below), check out the specs for each size and engine combination and actually go to a dealer website from there and get the MSRP for any model. If your local dealer happens to still have any 2012 models in stock you can get a lot better deal. I bought my 2012 Pro-Turn 152 XDZ(entry level Commercial for 2012 and in 2013 they added a "base" Pro-Turn that's in between the ZT HD and mine) last September just before the 2013 models came out and saved over $1,000 on what the MSRP plus tax would have been. Don't be afraid to ask for an out-the-door price and come back to them with a counter-offer. These dealers are just like a car dealer....they will negotiate within reason!!! I love my Gravely and although I looked at bunches of ZTR's and made offers on 3 other brands(Hustler, Bad Boy & Dixon) I've never looked back. But you definitely need to look at the Hustler Raptor and the Gravely's first-hand and compare warranties, deck gauge, engines, trannies and overall build as well as cost. I think you will be impressed with the quality for the money when you see the Gravely's in person. The Bad Boy Outlaw was the only thing that really came close to my Gravely, but the Gravely had a lifetime deck warranty, 3-year Residential/2-year Commercial Warranty and was more solid overall. The 42" ZT XL runs about $3999 MSRP which is quite a bit more than the Hustler Raptor, but if you look at them both you will easily see the differences in the build of the two. And if you can negotiate, you may get a ZT XL or a ZT HD(an "almost-commercial quality" residential ZTR) for not much more than the Hustler Raptor or Hustler Sport. Most of the well-known brands are all good machines and if you are like me it'll be hard to make up your mind which one to get. Just tell the dealers the most you are willing to spend and look for the quality things like chain-hung deck, deck gauges with reinforced edges, Kawasaki engines(the most reliable) HydroGear ZT-2800 or higher servicable trannies and warranties. You'll find the one that's just right for your needs.
Ooops, here's that link:

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers/Pages/default.aspx

I have a lot of trees to mow around with only an acre to mow so the 42" sounds really good to me, do you think the 42 ZT XL is heavy duty enough to last 5-10 years if maintained properly? I really don't have much of a problem stepping up to the higher price and I hate buying junk and then repurchasing quality. At the same time I don't want to purchase way more machine than I actually need for such limited use. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

/ Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"? #6  
Personally if I were looking to buy a Residential model instead of a Commercial model, I would recommend the Gravely ZT HD(which is the top-end Residential). The smallest deck size is a 44" and it runs about $4899 MSRP, but you would find the same price range if you stepped up to the Hustler Fastrak or Fastrak Super Duty high-end Residentials in the Hustler line. If you can swing that much I think the Gravely ZT HD would definitely last you 10 years minimum with regular maintenance maybe longer. Don't get me wrong, The regular ZT or the ZT XL models would most likely serve you well for 5-10 years but the ZT HD is "near-commercial" quality for a pretty decent price(about $900 more than the XL). You need to look at the Gravely the Hustler and maybe a couple more if you have other dealers nearby(Toro Titans and Cub Cadet Z-Force are very good residential units) and compare them before deciding.

I was just actually at the Gravely dealer and he said he had some used commercial units being traded in June. A little apprehensive about, that but I did take a hard look at the ZThd and really liked it. I also spotted this one on EBay and I have to so it is tempting to make the 600 mile drive to go get it if it stays in this price range.

Gravely Zero Turn Mower 34" | eBay

I probably won't make the drive, but this sure looks like a good deal on a very lightly used machine.

/ Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"? #8  
Personally if I were looking to buy a Residential model instead of a Commercial model, I would recommend the Gravely ZT HD(which is the top-end Residential). The smallest deck size is a 44" and it runs about $4899 MSRP, but you would find the same price range if you stepped up to the Hustler Fastrak or Fastrak Super Duty high-end Residentials in the Hustler line.
I couldn't touch a Hustler Fastrak or Fastrak Superduty with a Kawasaki engine for anywhere near that price in my area.

/ Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"? #9  
Im not familiar with the raptor but I have a hustler sport with 42" deck. It was roughly about 3k. We have had it 3 or 4 yrs. it has been a great mower, very simple built, fab deck not stamped. It does very well and my wife really abuses it. She cuts some tall stuff. Has been very reliable.

/ Does anyone know about the Huster Raptor 42"? #10  
Im not familiar with the raptor but I have a hustler sport with 42" deck. It was roughly about 3k. We have had it 3 or 4 yrs. it has been a great mower, very simple built, fab deck not stamped. It does very well and my wife really abuses it. She cuts some tall stuff. Has been very reliable.
Reyer Farms,
It's always good to get some feedback from a current owner of the same model and I'm sure that will help user sjm1580!! As long as he/she sticks with the leading brands there's little chance of dissatisfaction(we all know that Hustler don't make no junk!!!).