Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa

/ Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa #11  
No mixing. It has oil in the crankcase like any other 4-stroke engine and just takes straight gas. The Stihl 4-mix engines are really 2-stroke but have valves like a 4-stroke. They still use oil in the gas.

I really am not sold on it yet, still kicking my options around.

The Stihl 4-MIX is a 4 stroke.

4-MIX engine

/ Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa #12  
I have the echo pb770 and love it i looked hard at the stihl 600, shindawa and husky as my dealer sells them all. I run Stihl saws ms361 and ms660 and a 4 mix weed wacker. The echo might not look as polished as the stihl but they start easier than any stihl or husky ive ever run if my memory is correct the stihl does not move as much air with the same cfm or speed. If you concerned about the noise level i suggest you use a rake or broom all blowers are loud :) im sure the BR is a good machine as well but im not sure the 4 mix is as durable in the long run both the dealer service guys and grounds service crews at work said they dont last as long and have switched to other brands. P.S. This dealer has been a stihl dealer longer than any of the other brands

/ Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa #13  
I have the echo pb770 and love it i looked hard at the stihl 600, shindawa and husky as my dealer sells them all. I run Stihl saws ms361 and ms660 and a 4 mix weed wacker. The echo might not look as polished as the stihl but they start easier than any stihl or husky ive ever run if my memory is correct the stihl does not move as much air with the same cfm or speed. If you concerned about the noise level i suggest you use a rake or broom all blowers are loud :) im sure the BR is a good machine as well but im not sure the 4 mix is as durable in the long run both the dealer service guys and grounds service crews at work said they dont last as long and have switched to other brands. P.S. This dealer has been a stihl dealer longer than any of the other brands

The Stihl is less MPH but more CFM than the Echo.

My dealer told me the most he had done to a Stihl BR600 was work on the carb because of people leaving old gas in them.

/ Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa
The Stihl dealer I went to said I'd need to bring it in after the first year, @ 100 hours or so and have the valves adjusted. He said that is required maintenance. I asked if it was something that had to be done every season and he said no, generally after that first adjustment it'll be fine for a few years or so then may start running rough and need adjustment again. I must admit, this kinda turns me off a little bit.

/ Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa #15  
The Stihl dealer I went to said I'd need to bring it in after the first year, @ 100 hours or so and have the valves adjusted. He said that is required maintenance. I asked if it was something that had to be done every season and he said no, generally after that first adjustment it'll be fine for a few years or so then may start running rough and need adjustment again. I must admit, this kinda turns me off a little bit.

That does not make sense. If you take it home and use it 2 hours and let it sit for 12 months the valves will need adjusted?

/ Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa #16  
I have used all the backpacks you mentioned, and about the most important thing is blowing power.

When I pull the trigger on the blower, I want it to blow as much as it can.

Sure you have to consider weight, cost, can you fix it yourself.

I have been to trade shows where they would connect two blowers nozzle to nozzle with a tennis ball, and see which can blow the ball into the other machine.

Someone else might like the color of the machine, or the weight, but I want blowing power, and not just volume and MPH figures.

I removed most of the exhaust screens because they built up carbon.

The most problem I had was the internal gas tank filters. If the engine started to run slower, that was the first thing I would check. I always carried spares.

I currently use the big Shindaiwa.

http://blog.extremehowto.com/2010/1...mmercial-blower-reviews-more-extreme-blowing/

Last edited:
That does not make sense. If you take it home and use it 2 hours and let it sit for 12 months the valves will need adjusted?

It makes perfect sense. I guess the guy figured it would take me a few years of usage to get to the number of hours required to meet the service interval.

I took the time to read the Stihl manual, and apparently the actual service interval for the valve check/adjustment is 139 hours. In addition, the interval for decoking the combustion chamber is 139 hours initial then every 150 hours thereafter.

At this point, it's all academic because I pulled the trigger today on the Red Max EBZ7500RH. The dealer convinced me the 8500 would be pure overkill for my needs.

I picked it up this morning and love it. Just got finished the trial-run. I cleared all the leaves from the backyard and on both sides of the house. It did a nice job.. I have to rig up some PVC so I can clean my gutters this weekend.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Last edited:
   / Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa #18  
I don't know much about the 4 stroke machines other than my son's stihl trimmer.He has a lawn service & it Seems like he always has 4 stroke trimmer in in the shop for valve adjustment.I would not have 1.I have that same red max blower and love it.I think the 8500 is the next step up. The best thing about the redmax is, you won't have to worry about valve adjustment

/ Backpack blower - Stihl vs. Husqvarna/Red Max vs. Echo vs. Shindaiwa #19  
It makes perfect sense. I guess the guy figured it would take me a few years of usage to get to the number of hours required to meet the service interval.

I took the time to read the Stihl manual, and apparently the actual service interval for the valve check/adjustment is 139 hours. In addition, the interval for decoking the combustion chamber is 139 hours initial then every 150 hours thereafter.

At this point, it's all academic because I pulled the trigger today on the Red Max EBZ7500RH. The dealer convinced me the 8500 would be pure overkill for my needs.

I picked it up this morning and love it. Just got finished the trial-run. I cleared all the leaves from the backyard and on both sides of the house. It did a nice job.. I have to rig up some PVC so I can clean my gutters this weekend.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.
JohnFromPA,

When you say "I have to rig up some PVC so I can clean my gutters this weekend." does this imply you are making your own "gutter kit" for the new Red Max backpack blower???? I had been considering getting a backpack blower(mostly for leaves in my gutters in the Fall), but all of the backpack blowers never show a "gutter kit" on the manufacturer websites(only the handheld blowers for each brand do). I had gotten advice on the forums that you are "supposed to" use a handheld ONLY for cleaning gutters, which makes no sense whatsoever to a "blower-challenged" homeowner(I've never owned either, but do have a blower attachment for my string trimmer). Sooooooo, do you have to "build your own" for a backpack blower or if RedMax sells a "gutter kit" can you use it on the backpack blower you just bought??? I'm pretty confused on this as you can plainly see:0)

JohnFromPA,

When you say "I have to rig up some PVC so I can clean my gutters this weekend." does this imply you are making your own "gutter kit" for the new Red Max backpack blower???? I had been considering getting a backpack blower(mostly for leaves in my gutters in the Fall), but all of the backpack blowers never show a "gutter kit" on the manufacturer websites(only the handheld blowers for each brand do). I had gotten advice on the forums that you are "supposed to" use a handheld ONLY for cleaning gutters, which makes no sense whatsoever to a "blower-challenged" homeowner(I've never owned either, but do have a blower attachment for my string trimmer). Sooooooo, do you have to "build your own" for a backpack blower or if RedMax sells a "gutter kit" can you use it on the backpack blower you just bought??? I'm pretty confused on this as you can plainly see:0)

I did not see any gutter kits available for my blower. So, that is why I went the homemade route... What I did was go to Lowes and purchase a 10' section of PVC drainpipe ($9) and two 90 degree elbows ($5 each). Drainpipe is the thin-walled stuff, not standard PVC pipe - that would be way too heavy. I put both elbows on the one end of the straight piece and swiveled them around to get the angle right. When I figured I had it right I secured everything with duct tape. It worked pretty well but was a bit unwieldy so I had a helper hold/maneuver the piping into position while I worked the blower.

Since my house is a single-story I can actually get by with a shorter piece than 10' but the benefit of the longer pipe is that you are further away and out of the "blast zone" so to speak... But, I think I am going to cut the pipe down to 5' or 6" so I can do it myself in the future. Initially, I planned on going up on the roof and blowing the gutters out from up there. But, once I got up there I determined that the angle of the roof was too steep for me to feel comfortable walking around up there with the blower strapped on my back.