Ground Up Vegetation for Mulch ?

/ Ground Up Vegetation for Mulch ? #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
Our landfill is selling this for $16.00 per ton. Best I can tell, a ton could be about 2.5 cubic yards, or more depending. We usually use double-shredded hardwood, and, because we need 20 yards or so it is a little expensive to do annually. I haven't seen the ground up vegetation product and am wondering if it will be just hideous to look at? I'd probably use that for areas that really just need "something", and stick with the more refined products around the house, highly visible areas, etc. Thoughts?

/ Ground Up Vegetation for Mulch ? #2  
It would probably compost well if left in a pile....

/ Ground Up Vegetation for Mulch ? #3  
Our landfill is selling this for $16.00 per ton. Best I can tell, a ton could be about 2.5 cubic yards, or more depending. We usually use double-shredded hardwood, and, because we need 20 yards or so it is a little expensive to do annually. I haven't seen the ground up vegetation product and am wondering if it will be just hideous to look at? I'd probably use that for areas that really just need "something", and stick with the more refined products around the house, highly visible areas, etc. Thoughts?

Are you sure it isn't compost? Our landfill/waste management authority sells compost for $10/ton. It looks like bits of mulch mixed in with dirt (just the appearance. It is light and fluffy, but after it breaks down more, I'm sure the grass and weeds will grow right through it. We have been putting a layer of it around our trees and then putting traditional mulch on top of the compost with good results so far.

/ Ground Up Vegetation for Mulch ?
I was told it was ground up vegetation - haven't seen it yet.

/ Ground Up Vegetation for Mulch ? #5  
I had a truck load dumped on a section I plan to build up some and it looks like a long side of the roads when they have chipped up brush and ground trees. Doesn't look bad to me but some won't like the looks. In a few years it will brake down and will probably leave the soil a little on the acid side of the PH. I had the power co dump a load from where they trim back limbs last year. Its kinda hard to spread out evenly with a front end loader. So used a brush hog to finish evening it out. Some grass and weeds have already sprouted though it and it is about 2-3" deep.