Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Ground Up Vegetation for Mulch ?

Our landfill is selling this for $16.00 per ton. Best I can tell, a ton could be about 2.5 cubic yards, or more depending. We usually use double-shredded hardwood, and, because we need 20 yards or so it is a little expensive to do annually. I haven't seen the ground up vegetation product and am wondering if it will be just hideous to look at? I'd probably use that for areas that really just need "something", and stick with the more refined products around the house, highly visible areas, etc. Thoughts?
    2010 BX2360
    54" MMM, 5' TW rear blade
    5' TW rake
    4' Frontier Box Blade

Male Red Fox Labrador Retriever
    1963 McIntosh Tube Amp w/1959 Citation I Preamp
    Bozak B302A Speakers

Gold Member

Default Re: Ground Up Vegetation for Mulch ?

It would probably compost well if left in a pile....

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Quote Originally Posted by snpower View Post
    Our landfill is selling this for $16.00 per ton. Best I can tell, a ton could be about 2.5 cubic yards, or more depending. We usually use double-shredded hardwood, and, because we need 20 yards or so it is a little expensive to do annually. I haven't seen the ground up vegetation product and am wondering if it will be just hideous to look at? I'd probably use that for areas that really just need "something", and stick with the more refined products around the house, highly visible areas, etc. Thoughts?
    Are you sure it isn't compost? Our landfill/waste management authority sells compost for $10/ton. It looks like bits of mulch mixed in with dirt (just the appearance. It is light and fluffy, but after it breaks down more, I'm sure the grass and weeds will grow right through it. We have been putting a layer of it around our trees and then putting traditional mulch on top of the compost with good results so far.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." -
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Any person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts and outcomes. So one may believe as they will, but will be held accountable by the numbers for their beliefs. At the end of the day, life is a school of probability. Jesse via Jesse's Cafe Americain

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I was told it was ground up vegetation - haven't seen it yet.
    2010 BX2360
    54" MMM, 5' TW rear blade
    5' TW rake
    4' Frontier Box Blade

Male Red Fox Labrador Retriever
    1963 McIntosh Tube Amp w/1959 Citation I Preamp
    Bozak B302A Speakers

Tractor
    traded MF135 for a 2605 4x4

I had a truck load dumped on a section I plan to build up some and it looks like a long side of the roads when they have chipped up brush and ground trees. Doesn't look bad to me but some won't like the looks. In a few years it will brake down and will probably leave the soil a little on the acid side of the PH. I had the power co dump a load from where they trim back limbs last year. Its kinda hard to spread out evenly with a front end loader. So used a brush hog to finish evening it out. Some grass and weeds have already sprouted though it and it is about 2-3" deep.