Bee Keepers ?

/ Bee Keepers ? #1  

Rayster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 w/LA524
Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong area.

For years, I have wanted to put in some bee hives. My girlfriend went to MSU and took classes, (I could not attend, as that I work a night shift job), we even have a mentor. The mentor comes out and helps you pick a proper location and provides support if and when you have questions. I am very exited, that we will be putting up 2 hives this month. The bees are an Italian species, which we understand are heartier and have more advantages for novice keepers.

Anyhow, I am curious as to how many of you keep bees?

thanks,
Kenny

hives.jpg

Last edited:
   / Bee Keepers ? #2  
I'm dreaming about bee keeping. Love them much.

/ Bee Keepers ? #3  
There is one of me. Probably one of each of the other beekeepers here too.

Apis Mellifera is the species you refer to, the Italian honeybee. Other types of honey bees are popular too and each has its advantages and disadvantages.

There is much to learn, Grasshopper. You should start with the BeeSource forum. Just read between all the chit-chat and posturing and you will find many answers to all your questions. However, for each question, there are multitudes of answers and opinions. It is an art as much as it is a science.

/ Bee Keepers ? #4  
You are doing the correct thing by starting two hives. You will be able to tell if one starts getting weak by comparsion. I run about twelve hives here in North Carolina and find that Beesource.com is a good source of info.

Good Luck
Billy

/ Bee Keepers ?
There is one of me. Probably one of each of the other beekeepers here too.

Apis Mellifera is the species you refer to, the Italian honeybee. Other types of honey bees are popular too and each has its advantages and disadvantages.

There is much to learn, Grasshopper. You should start with the BeeSource forum. Just read between all the chit-chat and posturing and you will find many answers to all your questions. However, for each question, there are multitudes of answers and opinions. It is an art as much as it is a science.

You are doing the correct thing by starting two hives. You will be able to tell if one starts getting weak by comparsion. I run about twelve hives here in North Carolina and find that Beesource.com is a good source of info.

Good Luck
Billy

Thank You, I will gladly take all the information I can. :)

/ Bee Keepers ? #6  
We have 5 hives that (so far) have made it through the winter enough to have bees flying when it is warm. Need to go out and retrieve 3 more hives (not sure how many made it through the winter) and being them back to the farm here.

Aaron Z

/ Bee Keepers ? #7  
Add one more "want a be" to the list, or should that be '' want a bee''. :D

/ Bee Keepers ? #8  
I had three hives, one Italian, two swarms that I caught until a bear destroyed all of them. I am hoping to catch a swarm again this spring. I would recommend beesource and biobees as good places. Biobees is more hands off, where beesource gives you a great mix of pros and hobbyists.

/ Bee Keepers ? #9  
I have a friend that I let put a couple hives in my back pasture in the spring,, he give me two qt. of honey each year.. there is a lot of clover in the spring on my hay fields by design.. Lou

/ Bee Keepers ? #10  
When I was a kid, Dad & I found a bee tree one day while squirrel hunting. Dad went and bought a hive and borrowed a smoker. I had to help him cut that tree down, move honeycomb into the hive, find the queen and move her into the hive, etc. The next day we moved the hive closer to the house, actually out close to the barn and garden. Then Dad decided to buy 6 more hives of bees. Dad never used any kind of protection at all; just worked quietly around the bees and I don't recall him ever getting stung. I wasn't that lucky, although I did work with him robbing the honey, moving the hives to a clover & vetch pasture in the winter, back up by the garden for the summer, etc.

HOWEVER . . ., I vowed years ago to never eat another bite of honey if I had to take it away from a bee!