Modify walk behind roto tiller

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #31  
Heck, you could do the same crazy stuff in an electric wheel chair....do you see wheelchair companies advertising like that???

It seems to me that there's no comparison to wheelchairs. Wheelchairs are designed, built, advertised, and sold for use by people with some disability. The Segway is not. It's advertised and sold for use by police, private security companies, for personal transportation, and for fun. Obviously, as you've proven, the Segway can be a great tool for someone with your particular problem, but generally (I know, there's always exceptions) a person who can stand up on both feet and operate a Segway, even at its slowest pace, can also walk. It doesn't surprise me that you've been turned away from some places because I don't think the vast majority of the population thinks of the Segway as a "handicapped" tool, as they do a wheelchair. How many, or what percentage, of the Segways are used as an aid for some disability?

At least I now understand your concern, although I think it's unrealistic for you to expect everyone to conform to your opinion of the Segway. You might be able to convince some to allow you (but not other able bodied individuals) to enter businesses on your Segway, and if so, that's great, but how will the business know which is which.

As you know, a lot of places don't allow dogs or other animals inside, except guide animals, but there are visual clues as to whether such animals are to be allowed. To park in a "handicapped" parking spot, visual signs are required. Perhaps you (or Segway) can come up with some visual indicator that would work. Or do you have some personal identification, something from a doctor, that would explain to business employees why you want to enter on your Segway?

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #32  
At least I now understand your concern, although I think it's unrealistic for you to expect everyone to conform to your opinion of the Segway. You might be able to convince some to allow you (but not other able bodied individuals) to enter businesses on your Segway, and if so, that's great, but how will the business know which is which.
As you know, a lot of places don't allow dogs or other animals inside, except guide animals, but there are visual clues as to whether such animals are to be allowed. To park in a "handicapped" parking spot, visual signs are required. Perhaps you (or Segway) can come up with some visual indicator that would work. Or do you have some personal identification, something from a doctor, that would explain to business employees why you want to enter on your Segway?
I agree. Perhaps one of those blue "handicap" mirror hang tags on the Segway would be in order?

Aaron Z

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #33  
It seems to me that there's no comparison to wheelchairs. Wheelchairs are designed, built, advertised, and sold for use by people with some disability. The Segway is not. It's advertised and sold for use by police, private security companies, for personal transportation, and for fun. Obviously, as you've proven, the Segway can be a great tool for someone with your particular problem, but generally (I know, there's always exceptions) a person who can stand up on both feet and operate a Segway, even at its slowest pace, can also walk. It doesn't surprise me that you've been turned away from some places because I don't think the vast majority of the population thinks of the Segway as a "handicapped" tool, as they do a wheelchair. How many, or what percentage, of the Segways are used as an aid for some disability?

Bird,
I hate to keep pirating this thread with off-topic discussions about this, so I will give you some background about the organization(DRAFT...Disability Rights Advocates For Technology) that I found out about and actually filed a deposition with the courts in the Disney Class Action Lawsuit over the Segway through. In 2005, this advocacy group began a program called SEGS4VETS where they "donated" Segways to veterans returning from duty in the Middle East with lower limbs that had been "compromised" in their service to this country. Check out the link below and bware....it may bring a tear to your eye and/or change your perspective of human transportation technology in respect to those with disabilities(it did mine). You can click on the "Disability Rights" on that webpage and get an overwhelming amount of information regarding your own disability that you may/may not have already been aware of. Bottom line, technology that can improve the quality of life for ANY disability should not have "legalistic society restrictions" placed on it and the DRAFT organization is all about that!!! Enjoy......

Disability Rights Advocates For Technology > Segs4Vets

P.S.
Be sure to read the "About Us" section completely on that webpqage, including "Our Mission" at the bottom of that info. We babyboomers, that were victims of polio have an organization that will go to bat for us(they have a nationwide group of "volunteer" attorneys)!!!

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #34  
As I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I guess I look at things differently, but YOU have the sole right to determine who can come in your home. If you want to exclude someone for any reason whatsoever, that's your right. But then when your property is a business, the government gets involved and tells you who you can or cannot exclude. Why should business property be different than personal property? Yeah, maybe I'm in the minority, but I can guarantee you that I'd NEVER file, or participate in, a lawsuit against any place that didn't want me there. So your "volunteer" attorneys are definitely not my attorneys.

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #35  
Bird,
So what you are saying is that if the local zoo would not let you(being disabled) in, along with your wife and grandkids, because you needed(required) your Segway(or electric cart, or motorized wheelchair.....pretending they would not allow ANY electric mobility assistive device) to be able to "walk" through the zoo, then your inability to enjoy the zoo with your grandkids(like ANYONE else, not physically challenged) would NOT make you angry with them??? Poor grandkids.....Grandpa can't go to the zoo with them:0(

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #36  
Bird,
So what you are saying is that if the local zoo would not let you(being disabled) in, along with your wife and grandkids, because you needed(required) your Segway(or electric cart, or motorized wheelchair.....pretending they would not allow ANY electric mobility assistive device) to be able to "walk" through the zoo, then your inability to enjoy the zoo with your grandkids(like ANYONE else, not physically challenged) would NOT make you angry with them??? Poor grandkids.....Grandpa can't go to the zoo with them:0(

Yep, that's right; would not make me mad at all. I'll let the people who own, or manage, the property make the decisions. You know I want one of those multi-million dollar contracts to play football for the Dallas Cowboys. I guess I ought to sue them because they won't take someone as old as I am, or in my physical condition????? The fact is that we cannot all do everything, so if a zoo requires you to walk through, so be it. I remember one guy who sued to try to force the PGA to allow him to play in tournaments, but to allow him to use a riding golf cart because he couldn't walk that far. Too many people think rules should be changed just to suit their individual preferences or needs. I'm just not one of those people. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm right, or that I'm even in the majority; nor does it mean I'm wrong.

Some of those places with which you are upset because they won't allow your Segway WILL ALLOW you to use a wheelchair, so they are not preventing your use of their facilities; only requiring that you comply with their rules. And I think we both know the reason for such rules. On that Segway, you can be, not necessarily will be, but can be more dangerous than you would be in a wheelchair. And I think we both know that IF you should injure someone, that person will sue the business rather than you. So I think they need, or at least believe they need, such rules to protect themselves. It's not because they have something against people with disabilities.

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller
Wow and all I wanted was some advice on how to modify my walk behind rototiller so that I could ride instead of walk behind it. Well, this week end I went and bought an old Snapper riding mower which has a wheel base of 29 inches and rear mounted motor. I will hook it up to my front tiller Arens with a 24" tiller base. Now for my 16" Huskey tiller, I plan to hook up one of those mini bikes or "scooters" ie Baja Minibike with a 3 to 6 hp engines. This will in essence give a gentle push to the tiller if it needs it. I will send pictures after I finalize the fabrication.

Talk about fate...I blew a disk out in the lower back and had to bed rest for 3 days. I don't have pain but it feel like some one has a pressure cuff on my upper thigh and it won't let go. what worries me now is that I have over 50 flats of seedlings developing both in the basement and the outside green house. Every thing from tomato, watermelons, cantaloupe, honey dew, zuchinni, acorn squash, peppers, broccoli etc, etc etc. I plant all these by hand in addition to manual planting of the seed corn. don't get me wrong...I am not complaining...in fact I am looking forward to the challenge. Now if I could just fabricate one of those rigs where you see the guys pulled behind a tractor planting the tomato plants. Anybody ever modify a gurney or stretcher motor rise it and be able to lay out flat and plant a row of plants??? I am not being facetious.

All kidding aside..this forum site is remarkable to me because of the sincerity and helpfulness of the members. If you post on Car Talk, most of the reply s are offensive and insulting. Some of the people relish in putting you "down".

In response to the Segway discussion a few years back there were several suits against the company because of some safety issues. I too am very leery of these class action movements because I truly believe the only winners are the attorneys. If any of you are interested in the Wounded Vets, look at the Intrepid Center down at the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio. I visited there several months ago, and it will bring tears to see those beautiful American kids so badly disfigured. Please support them via Wounded Warriors etc. I would rather my help go to them instead of some knocked up teenager who is needs funding for her 3rd or 4th abortion because she too lazy to ...sorry

DocRocky

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #38  
Now if I could just fabricate one of those rigs where you see the guys pulled behind a tractor planting the tomato plants. Anybody ever modify a gurney or stretcher motor rise it and be able to lay out flat and plant a row of plants??? I am not being facetious.
Something like this: Pendragon Fabrication Contact Information or this: FARM SHOW - Sit-Down Cart Works Like A Zero-Turn Riding Mower (contact info: FARM SHOW - Sit-Down Cart Works Like Zero-Turn Riding Mower) perhaps?

All kidding aside..this forum site is remarkable to me because of the sincerity and helpfulness of the members. If you post on Car Talk, most of the reply s are offensive and insulting. Some of the people relish in putting you "down".
That IMO is what makes TBN one of the better forums on the internet...

Aaron Z

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #39  
I hope the rear engine lawn tractor works for your needs. I would probably try to match the tiller width to your wheel width. If you can weld, you may be able to add a row of tines to your tiller, or find one that is the full 30".

You will still need to add a few more inches to your rows of whatever you plant. Corn? 6" of clearance?

An alternative might be to offset the tiller to one side. For weeding, that might work well as when you turn, the tiller would tend to sweep to the side away from the turn (assuming a rigid 3-pt like mount).'

Here is a plug planter for sale locally. The seat isn't pictured, but it should have a seat facing the tray (rearward from the tractor).
Mechanical Transplanter

I saw someone planting some pumpkins with something like it. It looked nice, if you need a mile long row of pumpkins planted as plugs rather than seeds. It is, however, a multi-person job. One driving, and a couple of people feeding the plug planter, depending on how many rigs you have. . That field now looks like it has wheat, I think, so perhaps it is the same one.

Of course, there are also the corn planters and seed drills.

Midwest Wildlife Management : Used John Deere 71 2-Row Planter

With consumer grade ones for a lot less (I've picked up a couple at thrift stores).

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller
Bird: Do you live anywhere near Throckmorton, Texas? Would you believe that an Ohio boy has been there and searched out Camp Cooper south of Throckmorton. Robert E. Lee was a Lt. Colonel of the 2nd. Cavalry assigned there before the Civil War outbreak. His detachment was there to help the Comanche Indians who were living on the Reservation and needed protection from the Comanche,s coming down from Kansas and Oklahoma. After a short stint there he eventually got command as Colonel down at Fort Mason. I have followed every trail he might have ever been on. About 8 years ago I presented a paper to the Texas Historical Society: LEE IN TEXAS...REVISITED. I have met some of the finest people both in Throckmorton as well as Albany.

DocRocky