Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower?

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower? #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
Sorry if my last few threads seem a bit loony, but I am sincere. Does anyone out there know what was the narrowest wheel base for a riding lawn tractor. Many years back my father-in-law had the smallest riding mower I ever saw and I recall it was a MUSTANG but i have no idea who manufactured it. I went to a small garden tractor bone yard today but nothing seemed narrower than 28 inches. Also, did anyone ever make a three wheeler?, also narrow.
Thank You,
DocRocky

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower? #2  
A weed wacker mounted on my sisters tricycle

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower? #3  
Swisher made a 3-wheel model,32 inch cut I think!--- I have one here that runs/mows/ etc.!---I had an 18" single blade rider back in the 60's ---very light made, but would mow in very tight places! thanks; sonny580

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower?
sonny 580: Do you possibly recall the make of that real narrow riding mower. I am trying to modify a very narrow rider to act as a motorized skully to go behind my walk behind front tine rototiller, Ill try to locate one in the bone yards if I had a specific name to go by. I use it to only cultivate for weeds (surface passes only), I have heavier tillers on both garden tractors or field tractors to prepare the garden soil. I have sandy loam soil.
thanks, Docrocky

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower? #5  
I dont remember that far back,---only that I bought it at K-Mart for $97.00 in the mid 1960's---It had a four speed transmission on it and a 4-hp engine,--IF I remember correctly!---Its the only one that I ever seen and have never another one since!
You might check in the Northern, or Surplus Center for just the trans-axles and build up from scratch!---I know it would be lots of work, but possible to build!
I am currently making my second model of a garden creeper instead of using the bikes that I made many years ago. I have to adapt whatever I can to help continue gardening due to physical spinal conditions! thanks; sonny580

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower? #6  
One you might check on is called a Mustang,---it looks to be very narrow and compact.---another 3-wheel rear steer is a Yazoo---not sure about the drive wheel width, but might be able to narrow it up! thanks;sonny580

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower? #8  
I don't think I would be getting on a 24" wide riding mower as it would likely be top heavy and tend to turn over on the slightest slope.

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower? #9  
Simplicity had an 8 hp rear engine rider, it was lever steer, mower under middle that was removable and is about 26" to outside of tires---might be able to slide one side in a couple more inches---seat is right on top of the engine, so all weight would be over the drive wheels.--the front frame was just a round tube with the controls in it. thanks; sonny580

/ Narrowest wheel base for riding lawnmower? #10  
What about using a snowblower engine/frame?

Aaron Z