Choosing the right Garden Tractor

/ Choosing the right Garden Tractor #1  

mjenkins

Tractor
None
Greetings,

Trying to gain some insight into choosing the right garden tractor for our lawn (1.5 acres). We have plenty of trees, and a driveway that could use some grading.

Best,

M Jenkins

/ Choosing the right Garden Tractor #2  
So there are alot of options out there. First off how much do you want to spend? What brand is your favorite? Let's start there.

/ Choosing the right Garden Tractor #3  
:welcome:

/ Choosing the right Garden Tractor #4  
:welcome:

Nothing runs like a Deere when being chased by a Kioti

I was going to add or a Bobcat

M Jenkins - I am currently looking into the same situation. I have a 30 year old Sears Garden tractor, capably of using ground engaging equipment. True Garden tractors are hard to find. Most out there are Lawn or Yard tractors.

My old Sears is built like a tank ( but I cant get certain parts now), the new stuff (Probably MTD built) is a lot lighter.

I'm am now looking at the Sears GT model that has the manual trans (old school) and a JD Garden model - more $$$$

However you could also consider moving up to a CUT (Compact Tractor) look at the Bobcat or Kubota, or Kioti. They have smaller models that also give you a FEL and can mount a belly mower and handle other 3pt attachments.

Good luck

/ Choosing the right Garden Tractor #5  
I recommend Husqvarna lawn tractors for the best bang for your buck(NOT big box store models, but buy from a Husqvarna "dealer"). For 1.5 acres don't get a low-end model. Let us know what your max budget is and we will recommend some specific models(the more money....the better quality like with anything).

/ Choosing the right Garden Tractor #6  
Would be nice to know what the intended use is.

Over the last 40 yrs I've had 3 different GT's. All had horiz engines with direct drive to the trans. 2 of the 3 also had shaft drive to the mower deck. Personally I would not ever have a vert shaft engine mounted in a GT. Also prefer cast iron rear differential housing.

With a lot of trees to get around, a HST is called for.

Since I don't try and keep up with the Jones's so to speak, I can't offer much in the way of brand recommendations. I do know Cub's 2xxx & 3xxx series use horiz engines, shaft drive the trans and cast iron rear differential/axle housing. The 2xxx series uses a twisted belt for the mower deck drive. The 3xxx uses shaft drive for the mower deck. These 2 models include oil filter for the trans/differential.

My HD 48" mower deck tips the scale @ 265#, uses tapered roller bearings on the spindles, has a doz grease fittings and adj caster wheels and rear rollers. This ain't your momma's lawnmower. :) It is built to last.

As for the tractor, again, lots of grease fittings and hyd steering and aux hyd attachments.

I'm sure there are other brands/models that are built as tough. When I bought the Cub, I looked at the comp JD and the Cub weighed 75# more and that is not including the mower deck. That extra weight was very visible.

Good luck on your search.

/ Choosing the right Garden Tractor #7  
I was in the market for a new garden tractor a year ago, I had a 1978 John Deere 210 with a 4 speed manual gearbox, 39" 3 blade deck and 42"'front blade, but I was working on it as much as operating it so the old girl had to go. I looked extensively at what was on the market and found out "they don't make em like they used to", I quickly ruled out anything from a box store and looked at what real equipment dealers had to offer. I looked at green, orange, blue and yellow tractors, each had their own good qualities, attachment options & features and there was a wide price range. I needed a unit that would be stable enough to mow fairly steep hills, have a deck less than 48", pull a 1000lb + trailer and have a front blade to push heavy wet Nebraska snow, all while staying in my price range <$5000. The only unit I could find that met all of these criteria was the Cub Cadet GT2000 series, as mentioned by a previous reply, they have a heavy duty cast iron hydrostatic transmission that holds 6 quarts of fluid and has a large external spin on filter. If you are going to be using ground engaging equipment like a rear blade to grade your drive, you need a stout tranny, & Johnny bucket makes a nice rear sleeve hitch with electric actuator. I ended up buying a GT2100, the difference from the GT2000 is it has a larger 23HP V twin Kohler command engine, 23/10.5/12 rear tires and an electric actuator that lifts the mower deck and lifts the snow blade also (my favorite feature). I believe the Kohler Command series to be some of the best small engines made today, check them out, the engine is connected directly to the transmission with a drive shaft, no belt, in fact the only belt on it is from the PTO to the deck! To find another "garden tractor" with shaft drive I discovered it would cost twice as much. Cub sells its mower decks separately so you can choose what you need, they have 3 stamped deck options (I have the 42" with a mulch kit) and 2 commercial quality fabricated deck options, I have less than an acre, you may want the fab deck, especially if you have rough terrain or are cutting wild grass & weeds.
I attached some photos of my tractor, it has met and exceeded all my expectations. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• image-2241505669.jpg
    image-2241505669.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 153
  • image-687621899.jpg
    image-687621899.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 179
  • image-3573128141.jpg
    image-3573128141.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 145
   / Choosing the right Garden Tractor #8  
For a garden tractor I would look at the x744 for a nice mower with 4ws or an x534, x324 depends on budget and expectations. The x744 is a diesel and is available with a limited three point hitch for various implements. I have an x749 4x4ws diesel but it has been discontinued this year. For a simple yet capable mower I like the x320 but would take about two hours to mow 1 1/2 acres with 20 to 30 trees to trim around. I wouldn't recommend any thing less than the x320 in the Deere line.