Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
I'm in the market for a riding mower that will likely end up with a front blade for snow. But mostly it'll be mowing and pulling a cart, roller, etc. 42-44" deck will be perfect. The $1,800 lawn tractors may work fine but I'm willing to pay more for better quality and durability, especially the transmission. All things equal I prefer 2 cylinders over 1. Two that I've looked at are at about the top of my budget ($4,000) are the Cub GT2000 w/42" deck and Deere X310. Are there any other's you could suggest I look at; Husqvarna, Simplicity, Snapper, etc? It's difficult finding detailed specs on some of these for example Husqvarna has the YT42XLS with a Kawasaki 2 cylinder engine, 42" deck, but I have no idea about the transmission, deck quality, etc. I was thinking of looking at Kubota's T series but have seen some negative comments about them chewing up (expensive) belts way too often and poor cut quality.

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K #2  
I'm in the market for a riding mower that will likely end up with a front blade for snow. But mostly it'll be mowing and pulling a cart, roller, etc. 42-44" deck will be perfect. The $1,800 lawn tractors may work fine but I'm willing to pay more for better quality and durability, especially the transmission. All things equal I prefer 2 cylinders over 1. Two that I've looked at are at about the top of my budget ($4,000) are the Cub GT2000 w/42" deck and Deere X310. Are there any other's you could suggest I look at; Husqvarna, Simplicity, Snapper, etc? It's difficult finding detailed specs on some of these for example Husqvarna has the YT42XLS with a Kawasaki 2 cylinder engine, 42" deck, but I have no idea about the transmission, deck quality, etc. I was thinking of looking at Kubota's T series but have seen some negative comments about them chewing up (expensive) belts way too often and poor cut quality.

Hi Milo,

It sounds like you are looking for the exact set up I purchased last May. I was looking for a real "garden tractor" not just a mower because I mow some fairly steep hills, tow my dump cart and 4x8 trailer and rent a commercial aerator twice a year. I also needed a machine that would move snow as I live in a circle and clear it and 5 steep drives. My previous tractor was a 1978 John Deere 210 with a 39" 3 blade deck and a 42" front blade, that old girl was built like a tank and served me well for years but it was getting to the point where I was repairing as much as operating so she had to go. What did I purchase you ask, we'll after much research I found out a new model Deere with the capabilities as my old unit would cost about $8000, my budget was about 1/2 that & the only tractor I found in my price range heavy duty enough was the 2000 series Cub Cadet. So I went to a real Cub dealer and checked them out, they use the Kohler Command series engines, and are in my opinion one of the best small engines made today, they have shaft drive and a cast iron hydrostatic transmission that holds 6 quarts of fluid! I too started looking at the GT2000 but they had a price special on the GT2100 with 23HP instead of 20HP, 23x10.5x12 rear tires and electric deck lift which also lifts the front blade, all for only $100 more, sold! I can tell you, after having it almost a year it has well exceeded my expectations, I liquid loaded the tires, put on 2 link chains and about 200lbs on the back and my GT2100 pushed snow like a 1/2 ton pickup, but better cause I can get into tight spaces, the electric actuator lifting the blade would have been worth $500 more! I just got 5 yards of dirt to construct a landscape berm and with the front blade was able to push, form and compact the soil without having to lift a shovel. I have the 42" deck because I have allot of hills and landscaping so I can get in and out of tighter spaces, it turns on a dime & with the mulch kit it minces grass & leaves to bits. I can pull my 4x8 trailer loaded with a yard of mulch around my yard & up the hills with no problem, and with shaft drive there are no belts to slip or break, in fact theres only one belt on it, from PTO to mower deck! I have seen photos of one with a Johnny Bucket front loader and rear sleve hitch, these are rated for ground engaging equipment.
IMO the Cub Cadet GT2000 series is easily the best new garden tractor for the money available today.
See photos of my new love (don't tell my wife).

John

Attachments

• image-2036935761.jpg
    image-2036935761.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 361
  • image-2678952754.jpg
    image-2678952754.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 434
  • image-3666119710.jpg
    image-3666119710.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 408
  • image-1623024346.jpg
    image-1623024346.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 289
   / Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K #3  
I would go with a Cub Cadet or a John Deere.

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K #4  
Might be out of your budget, but what about a Deere X540. Best mower Ive ever used (cut wise and in general), plus it has a good, strong transmission with differential lock. New would be $$, but now is the time of the year when used comes up.

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a nice used piece but so far haven't come across one. I imagine a X540 would have at least a 48" deck though. I guess it's between the X310 and GT2000 at this point. The Cub appears to offer a little more for the same money and Illumn8r gives a great testimonial on his GT2100. I may go look at them in person today. The Cub dealer may be a bit easier to deal with, I doubt the local Deere guys would even throw in a mulch kit.

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K #6  
Yes, i think 48 is as small as it goes. I had 54 on mine. I didn't notice a width requirement in your OP, sorry. But, unless there are specific reasons why (like a narrow gate) a wide deck is a good thing because not only does it save time, it allows you to get closer to obstacles like trees.

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K #7  
I purchased a BX2200 on what must have been the off season. The 900 hr tractor I purchased for $7400 with FEL and box blade is around 10K now without the blade. If you buy off season a clean BX2200 with a MMM could fall within your price range. Most of these BXs that have never seen a loader are in execlent shape, a fair number are in the 300 hr range.

I have not done much mowing with mine but people seem to think the 60 deck is very good. It should outlast a new garden tractor by decades.

But if you have tractor fever waiting will be out of the question :)

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K #8  
If you are not against a used mower a Cub Cadet 3000 series would be a good choice.

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K #9  

Milo,
You may want to compare closely the features of that Husqvarna YT42XLS to the other lawn tractors mentioned(in regard to price and build). That Husqvarna has a lifetime warrantied fabricated deck, a locking differential hydro tranny and a Kawasaki engine!!! Personally, I recommend the Husqvarna's as the best bang for your buck in a lawn tractor(especially when you get into the LS and XLS series). Just see how many other lawn tractors you can even find with a fab deck:0) See link below for more details:

Husqvarna YT42XLS - Garden tractors

/ Please Suggest a Good Riding Mower, Preferably Not Over $4K
A BX is larger than I would like, or need. I do have a B7500 at the other property. And I have no problem with a small used tractor if it's in very good condition, I am keeping my eye out. The trade-in's at the Cub dealer looked pretty well spent and I forgot to ask the Deere dealer if he had any nice used ones.
I just looked at a YT42XLS. Not moving, the steering seemed very heavy, obviously it'll lighten up when moving. I would have asked to ride it around but it was starting to rain pretty hard. Lifting the deck took a bit more effort than I would like but maybe there's an adjustment? I mention the steering and deck effort because my wife will probably be using it more than I (at least that is the plan). I drive past this dealer a lot so I'll stop back when the weather is better. I did ask them if it had a better hydrostatic transmission than the cheap ones sold at Depot? He had to ask the manager who said "they don't give us that information but probably not it's just a sealed unit made by Tuff Torque, but if it goes bad they're cheap to replace." He said it does have a better deck the Kawasaki engine, and a better warranty though. One would think if Husqvarna was going to market a better quality tractor with a fabricated deck and Kawasaki engine they would beef up the transmission as well?