Dixie Chopper new engine won't start

/ Dixie Chopper new engine won't start #1  

speedbump

Silver Member
Tractor
4520 John Deere
I have an older Dixie Chopper that had a Kohler engine that just gave up. I took it to a local motor shop and they installed a 30 hp Briggs & Stratton. Problem is it doesn't want to start. It's not getting gas. This was proven by the fact that if you throw a cap full of gas at the carb while cranking, it fires right up. I pulled the gas line from the two tanks off where it hooks to a round 2" or so black plastic gadget mounted on the side of the motor. The gas wouldn't run out of the tube because there wasn't much gas in the tanks and the black gadget is higher than the gas in the tanks. I have been told this engine has it's own fuel pump. If it does, it's really quiet, cause with the key on, I hear nothing. I do know it has a fuel shut off that is hooked up and working when the key is on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ Dixie Chopper new engine won't start #2  
That sounds like a vacuum operated fuel pump, not an electrical one so there is nothing to hear.
What position is the fuel selector valve in? Those (on the machines I have seen) usually have left tank, right tank and off. If you perhaps shut it off before pulling the engine...
Will it start if you gravity feed fuel into the pump?

Aaron Z

/ Dixie Chopper new engine won't start
From day one, it has never started easily. It just cranks and cranks like it has no compression. Both tanks have a shut off valve. I think they are just on/off as they have to be turned several revolutions to open or close. That and the tanks always fed to the engine. The guys that put the engine in used either to get it going the first time I took it back. They have it again now and I'm thinking they have no clue what's going on. Is that black gadget the fuel pump? If so, how does a vacuum pump work?

/ Dixie Chopper new engine won't start #4  
The gidgit on the side is indeed a vac. operated fuel pump.--check ALL your lines,--both gas and vac. lines and make sure that they are tight and not sucking air---to check action , remove carb line dump a little gas in the engine , start it and see if it is pumping any gas out the carb line or not.--pump could also be a factory defect, if so they need to cover it in the warranty ---just some suggestions for you to ponder!! thanks; sonny580

Thanks sonny, sounds like you may have nailed it. I hope these guys can figure it out so I don't have to do my own warranty work.

/ Dixie Chopper new engine won't start #6  
Keep us posted on the out come of this problem/cure if you will because it could help others in the future that may have the same problem! thanks; sonny580

I'll do it sonny. Hopefully, I'll have some GOOD news.