Who makes todays riding mowers

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
After looking at a lot of brands a lot of them seem similar - same trans, just different paint.

I know John Deer makes most of their own, but who currently makes Craftsman, Cub Cadet, and the rest.
I thought I saw a post on this in the past, but cant find it.

Trying to compare apples to apples.

Thanks

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #2  
When did JD start making them again? I am sure the one I have ridden for several days at my sister's must be MTD.

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #3  
When did JD start making them again? I am sure the one I have ridden for several days at my sister's must be MTD.

Most Craftsmans(we all realize that Sears doesn't "manufacture" anything) are "cheap Husqvarnas"(same basic mower with cheaper components that the similar Husqvarna "model). I don't know about the Cubs. Murray & MTD make a LOT of different brands(Troybilt, etc.) and Briggs & Stratton make Snappers but I am unsure of a definitive list of makes/manufacturers.

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #4  
Simplicity and Snapper are made by Briggs.

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #5  
Murray was bought by Briggs & Stratton. Makes me think B&S probably make most low end riding mowers, but just my .02

/ Who makes todays riding mowers
Gale - per the JD service man I met at Home Depot hes said most were JD made, except for the low end HD models - 100 series I think - just not sure 100%, thus the question.

I am trying to get another good garden tractor, and the ones I am seeing sure don't seem to be made as well as my old Sears.

So any recommendations are welcome. Medium yard, unless I get out into the 2 acre pasture (twice a year) Would like to use some of my old ground attachments, like the rear blade, and possibly the snow blade (yes I know modifications may be necessary). Mostly mowing around the house.

Option 2 is I just get a small riding mower like the entry level cub cadet or JD that Home depot sells.

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #7  
MTD bought Cub Cadet many years ago and cheapened them. I believe MTD still owns the name. Not sure if there is a high end MTD brand that will last many, many years. Most typical riding mowers are just considered throw-aways anymore. If you get 8 to 10 years out of them you are doing well. A small subcompact might work better for you depending on your budget, otherwise buy a cheaper one and plan on replacing it in about 8 years if you take care of it. Good luck.

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #8  
Briggs purchased Murray years ago, but doesn't own or have rights to the name. The current Murrays are either Husqvarna/poulan or MTD for push mowers, and MTD for the riders. MTD purchased Cub Cadet in 1981 and still own them. That is the high end product for MTD. Craftsman are made by Husqvarna/Poulan, and MTD. Briggs owns Simplicity/Snapper, but the Walmart Snappers are made by MTD.

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #9  
Clear as mud now :)

/ Who makes todays riding mowers #10  
The difference between a true Huskvarna from a dealer and one from a big box store is complete. Most parts are not interchangable,and some dealers don't carry parts for them. The 46 inch JD and the 46 in Huskvarna from Lowes use almost all the same parts. The dealer model with routine maintence will last many years past the store model. It will also cost about twice the box store one. The big box stores licence the brand name to sell a cheaper version of a name brand mower and the average buyer will never know the difference.