Need make decision by Friday: YTH24K48 or YT46LS?

/ Need make decision by Friday: YTH24K48 or YT46LS? #1  

Robust1980

Tractor
no
Repost from Husky forum as more active member here. I really need make decision soon, any input is welcome!!

Hi All,

Just registered 5 mins ago. I'm in a hurry mode to buy a riding mower as the grass grow crazy (definitely need one by this weekend). I searched around and nailed down to two candidates: Husky YTH24K48 Fast Tractor ($1900) and Husky YT46LS ($2200). The only major difference from the spec sheet is YTH24K48 has a Kohler Courage V-Twin engine while YT46LS has Kawasaki FS series V-Twin. The research I did indicates that Kohler Courage series is a residential grade with about 500 hr rating lifetime. I wonder if the Kawasaki FS worth the additional $300? Other than engine, does LS line have beefier frame/platform?

BTW, my yard is about 1/2 acre and well level. I think both of these two tractor is a over-kill for me. The only reason I pick them is try to avoid entry level tractors that are poorly built. Do you guys think they are mid-grade that worth the extra $$?

Thank you guys! I found this site is extremely friendly and it seems every new member gets a Welcome, :D

Kevin

/ Need make decision by Friday: YTH24K48 or YT46LS? #3  
I dont have alot of experience with husky but make sure you get a fabricated steel deck as the stamped decks tend to rust out, Remember the deck will take the most abuse when mowing so the cost is worth the extra to have it last also i would go with kawasaki over kohler because they seem to be a better quality motor

/ Need make decision by Friday: YTH24K48 or YT46LS?
Thanks Bladehauler and badss98! If I always park inside, will stamped deck be OK? The cheapest fabricated deck costs about $1000 more. Also is it possible to replace deck later on or it is to expensive to do so.

/ Need make decision by Friday: YTH24K48 or YT46LS? #5  
I suppose you could find on later, if you are good at cleaning it should last longer, the cost later would not justify the purchase later as u would most likely want something new,Dont limit yourself to one brand and at your price point shop local dealers not bigbox store as they carry better brands and honor warrenty work and they do have room to bargain Good luck

/ Need make decision by Friday: YTH24K48 or YT46LS? #6  
Thanks Bladehauler and badss98! If I always park inside, will stamped deck be OK? The cheapest fabricated deck costs about $1000 more. Also is it possible to replace deck later on or it is to expensive to do so.

Robust1980,
If it were me I would either downsize(deck size) to the YT42XLS($400 more than the YT46LS) or upgrade to the YT48XLS deck size($700 more) to get that fabricated deck up front. It will give you a better quality cut and added durability and lifespan worth much more than the few $100 you spent to get it. BTW, those have a "lifetime warranty" on the deck.....doesn't that say it all? Link below...check out all of the Specifications for the models.

Husqvarna YT48XLS - Garden tractors

Thanks DJ! I went to the dealer this afternoon and they happen to be Snapper's dealer as well. The salesman suggested me to look at Snapper RER as well and says it should fit my need well (I have about 0.5 acre well level lawn). Because I plan to do plug aeration (not spike aeration) twice a year myself, I'm concerned that if Snapper RER's engine and tranny is beef enough to tow the plug aerator (Brinly-Hardy 40 in. Tow-Behind Plug Aerator-PA-40BH at The Home Depot). Other than aeration, I would not do any ground engaged work.

Cutting time wise, do you think 28in or 33in deck RER will take a lot longer than a tractor with 42in or more? The nice thing I like Snapper RER is its suction power and it is said to have better cut.

Robust1980,
If it were me I would either downsize(deck size) to the YT42XLS($400 more than the YT46LS) or upgrade to the YT48XLS deck size($700 more) to get that fabricated deck up front. It will give you a better quality cut and added durability and lifespan worth much more than the few $100 you spent to get it. BTW, those have a "lifetime warranty" on the deck.....doesn't that say it all? Link below...check out all of the Specifications for the models.

Husqvarna YT48XLS - Garden tractors

/ Need make decision by Friday: YTH24K48 or YT46LS? #8  
Robust i think you will be much happier with the husky vs snapper rear engine, I just retired my old 1972 snapper lt16 which was built like a tank and the motor was tired from mowing for the last years, Snapper makes a good product but the rer will really limit what you can do now and in the future

/ Need make decision by Friday: YTH24K48 or YT46LS? #9  
Robust i think you will be much happier with the husky vs snapper rear engine, I just retired my old 1972 snapper lt16 which was built like a tank and the motor was tired from mowing for the last years, Snapper makes a good product but the rer will really limit what you can do now and in the future

Robust1980,
I had never considered the rear engine rider mowrs before, but just recently ran across a post discussing the benefits of an Articulating Rider made by Husqvarna. What user badss98 may also be implying is that his 1972 Snapper may be a completely different machine that a Snapper that you buy today that is made by Briggs & Stratton(I don't "think" Snapper has always been owned by B & S, but badss98 can correct me if I'm wrong). I'm a little reluctant of B & S "quality" after a bad experience with a 24hp Intek:0(
Anyhow, check out the link below to the Husqvarna Articulating Riders. They are very pricey(3 models from $2999 up to $5,199) but the reviews(and information in the forum thread) make for an interesting option to a lawn tractor or ZTR for meeting a homeowner's needs. They are touted as having a VERY professional cut quality and are very neat little mowers(the downside, if any, from my perspective is they all sport B & S engines:0). Of course I may simply need to get the bad taste out of my mouth over the Intek and move on because prior to that I had a LT with a 16hp B & S Vanguard that was a fantastic engine for 19 years!!! I should refrain from judging B & S over the bad design of one model/series of their engines. Link follows:

Riding Lawn Mowers - Mower and accessories, reviews, buying guide and comparison charts Husqvarna

Wow, I looked up the video, it looks really nice. One thing I'm not sure is do they work with bagger? If not, it just mulches the grass and side discharges back to ground?