Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard #1  

CliffordK

Veteran Member
Tractor
Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,
It seems like I'm having a lot of problems finding "Standard" sized trees.

In the city, dwarfs might be OK, but I have the space for a nice orchard, so I just don't want to have stunted trees.

Anybody else run into issues with finding decent sized fruit trees?

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard #2  
Most people don't want to climb high ladders to pick and prune,hence the dwarfs and semi-dwarfs.

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard
Perhaps I should look at the semis a bit more. I don't mind the ladder, although pruning is a bit of a pain.

I have a deer that has learned to stand on 2 feet and pick the apples off of one of my trees!!! So, having my apples & fruit low to the ground would be relatively unproductive.

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard #4  
I think lawyer nursery might have them.

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard #5  
My Parents had 8 Dwarf Apple Trees in their backyard. They were always heavy with apples. As was stated earlier, deer do love to eat them.

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard #6  
I think "semi" dwarfs are/have become the most popular and they bear fruit sooner. My S-DWF are supposed to get to 15' so thats plenty high for me! From what I've read on several state AG sites, is standard size trees are best for commercial growers.

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard #7  
Check out St. Lawrence Nurseries in Potsdam N.Y. St. Lawrence Nurseries All full size trees, huge selection of apples. A very informative website. They tell you why you need full size trees. It's to late for spring orders but they ship trees in the fall.

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard #8  
bury the graft of a dwarf or semi-dwarf and you will have a full size tree.

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard
Thanks,

I've been thinking of trying to get some starts to grow from my mother's orchard and hoping I can force them to root.

I did transplant a volunteer cherry. It seemed hardy enough. Just hoping it survives the transplant, then I'll try grafting next year if I can find something to graft onto it.

/ Dwarfs, Semi-Dwarfs, and Standard #10  
There is a nursery in NY, ST. Lawrence Nurseries, that specializes in fruit trees for cold climates. They strongly recommend and sell full sized trees, in a great many varieties. They are not cheap, and their trees aren't very big. Bought the "pear special" from them a couple years ago, and the four trees are doing well, but still quite small.

Have you tried Starks or Grandpa's Orchards? I bought some full sized plums from one or the other.

If you want to go on the less expensive side, full sized trees are available from The Arbor Day Foundation. They are VERY small and quite inexpensive, so not the ones to choose if you want fruit in four or five years, imho.

http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeList.cfm

Semi-dwarfs are actually very nice trees even for fairly large spaces. Much easier to maintain. Dwarfs are too small for country use. Deer can reach the fruit, and so can bears, and when bears tear fruit off your apple or pear trees, they don't do it neatly, almost like they make an intentional mess.. Commercial orchards in NY usually severely prune their close-planted full size trees to smaller than most home orchards would prune their semi-dwarfs. Good for production, but ugly.

Burying the graft of a semi-dwarf is not a good idea. You get a full sized tree on the apple root of the variety, which is NOT the root you will get when you buy a full sized tree. It makes a difference. Some of the cheaper dealers use root stocks from random cannery seedlings for their root stocks. The better dealers use specially developed ones, or so I am told. This is only what I"ve read.. I'm not an expert. In any case, full sized trees are grafted, NOT seedlings.

If you plant apples, try one of the russets. They are not usually commercially available and are great apples, long keepers and heavy producers.

Last edited: