B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere)

/ B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere) #1  

1Johnny

Tractor
John Deere
Greetings... any help or direction sure would be appreciated..

I am working with a John Deere L-120 Lawn Tractor with the Briggs & Stratton INTEK 2.0 Twin engine
Model-406777
Type-0139 E1
Code- 050606 YC

Here is the situation:
One cylinder is flooding with fuel and the same cylinder each time..I have replaced the carburetor so the needle and seat can be ruled out as a cause...I have replaced the head gasket and adjusted the valves properly and the compression is equal in both cylinders.....A visual inspection provided no answers and the valves and seats looked good..

I have good spark to each cylinder

Where would you turn next? .. Thank you

/ B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere) #2  
Is the spark arriving in the one cyl. at the right time? Check timing of spark to flooding cylinder. don-ohio :)^)

/ B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere) #3  
How do you know it's flooding? Black smoke? Fouled plug?

/ B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere)
Thanks for your reply Don.. We have checked timing and that is right on

Hi Tim....Black smoke and the cylinder is filled with fuel....same cylinder each time

/ B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere) #6  
Have you checked the intake runner and exhaust on the non-flooding cylinder , if that cylinder isn't breathing properly the excess would go to the other side. could be either plugged by a nest or something or have a serious vacuum leak on intake.

Ray

/ B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere) #7  
I'll be interested to know the end of this one.LOL! Gotta be pulling excess fuel into that cyl. it seems,or just enough air to give compression.Of course,cyl. full of fuel will give false compression reading,just as if you'd put oil into it to check blow-by of the rings.
Check your motor oil......it's probably diluted with fuel really bad. don-ohio

/ B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere) #8  
Hi Tim....Black smoke and the cylinder is filled with fuel....same cylinder each time

When my twin B&S did this, it was the intake valve sticking open in the cyl head. This caused severe reversion in the intake manifold and produced huge amounts of black smoke. As the head heats up the valve sticks in it's guide and by the time you take everything apart it has cooled down and released it's grip. Any valve ticking when this happens?

Thanks Ray...Yes that was all cleaned during the head gasket replacement.

Thanks Don...Compression test was performed just after the head gasket replacement... and no the oil was not diluted..

Thanks Tim.. Good point.. I will probably have to look closer into the intake valve for that flooding cylinder

Thank you guys for your help.

/ B&S Intek V-Twin flooding only one cylinder ( John Deere) #10  
If the intake is sticking open,compression will not be good. Make sure to let us know what you find out? don-ohio :)^)