Which tractor would be good for snowblowing?

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #1  

cmbb

Gentlemen; I would like to purchase a L&G tractor for snowblowing and some mowing. Should it be hydrostatic or gear? Snowblower should be in the 40-48" range. I do not want a Briggs or Techumseh motor. Possibly an Onan or Honda. Thank You!

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #2  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The folks may want to know your budget for said tractor. We are very good at spending other people's money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing?
Mossroad: I appreciate the help! In the range of $2500-3500.00. Preferably on the lower end but I know how that is wishfull thinking.

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #4  
If you want onan a 318 should do the trick. Its hydro and 18 HP v twin I think. At the JD dealership I always mow with an old 300 series tractor of some sort and they always fire up and the hydors hold up great. If you have lots of trees the hydro is the way to go. We have a 1984 Honda HT 3813 rider(gear) and have had no problems with it. Don't know how that would do for snowblowing because it is a 13 HP V twin and very smalll rear tires. You have very good taste in motors though. I also dislike the briggs in the new Deeres and any other L & G tractors. Good luck!

Nick

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #5  
I have Simplicity 7119 to do my Snow Blowing and tilling and vacuming.

I think it may be a 1983 model year.

Has a Kohler Engine, twin 19. If you find one of these beast just be sure the engine says "Series II" . The original Kohler did not have a oil pressure system. Simplicity had to change out quite a few engines.

I have no complaints about this tractor. Under all the faded and scratched paint it has served me well.

Good luck,

Tom

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #6  
You might look at the Power King and its cousins. There are a few for sale on E-Bay right now. They are bigger than the run of the mill garden tractor.

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #7  
I have a couple of Bolens HT series tractors and they are great machines. 20 or 23 HP Kohler engines with pressure feed bearings and an oil filter. They have either a Eaton or Sunstrand Hydro's, depending on the year of manufacture. I have a 48" 2 stage snow blower on one and a 54" snow plow mounted on the other. I just sold my HT20 with a 48" loader since I no longer need it. Bought a real tractor.... Kubota BX22 and retired my monster Minneapolis Moline also. You are going to have a hard time finding a quality machine in the price range that you want to spend, but there are some bargains out there if you keep looking. Where are you located? I still have one for sale in CT.

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #8  
If you are looking new try something like this...

Attachments

• 336944-Blower5.JPG
    336944-Blower5.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 277
   / Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #9  
Used Ingersoll's or Case's work very well with the 18 or 20 hp Onan's, and they are within your budget. They both will run a 48" single stage snow blower through anything you point them at.

But, if you want new, take a look a Moss Road's web site. Power Trac has a great product, just envision the snow blower on it instead of the blade that MR is using.
Tim

/ Which tractor would be good for snowblowing? #10  
I've been using an 18hp Cub Cadet with a 48" front mounted blower for the past 9 years and it is a workhorse. The engine is Kohler. If you are planning on buying a new piece of equipment, you will probably increase your budget some if you want a DURABLE tractor and blower. I've even used the Cub to help clear the road when we had some serious problems and a plow couldn't get out to us. It is a heavily built garden tractor and a heavily built blower (the alone blower takes 3 people to lift)

I also have a Craftsman, made by MTD, which is the same parent company as Cub Cadet, and the Craftsman is a budget tractor, new it cost about $1500, the blower on that brought the price up to about $2000, and that was 6 or 7 years ago. It is used at our company to clear snow out of the truck docks. It is NOT worth the cost of the repairs that we put into it, very lightly built, just a piece of crap. I can lift the blower unit off the ground without much help and the tractor is built just as lightly. Not that all Craftsman stuff is junk (I love their tools), it is just that we really tried to go CHEAP because this thing is ONLY used for snowblowing, and then only used a few times a month in the winter when the snow gets deep and we don't have a plow truck on the lot when we need it. So this is a classic case of a very lightly used piece, but it is such a piece of junk that I had to mention it.

Snowblowers on tractors are great things, but light duty machines with cheap-o blowers are pretty much worthless pieces of junk that belong urban garages where they clear the snow off of driveways that are 20' wide by 40' deep. Do yourself a favor and buy a heavier duty "garden" tractor, not a "lawn" tractor. There are good units from Deere, Cub and a few other brands.