How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres.

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #1  

toyotractor

First, thanks to all responding to my questions about electric chain saws, some very good information.

I have another question, this time about lawn mowing costs.

For various reasons this season I will be unable to mow my relatives lawn of about 2.5 to 3 acres. It is NOT an estate lawn (as in manicured) but the ground is flat, clear, no rocks, stumps, a pretty easy mow that would not beat up a mower or cutting blades more then normal. I think it is mostly tall fescue with a mixed grass blend seed planted in areas close to the house.

I have talked to their next door neighbors whom have a very nice late upscale model riding lawn mower for their own property whose son wants the job and income.

I do not know what a fair price to pay for his time, plus the mower, gas, or to pay by the job or by the hour.

I had been doing the job with a compact tractor and 4 ft finish mower in about 2.5 hours if rushed or under 4 hours if wanting a nice cut and thus mowing slower and making crosscut passes. In addition to having large open spaces the yard also has a few trails to mow, smaller areas and in and outs which add to the mowing time.

If not implied above, there is no need for a grass catcher to bag the grass.

The preference would be taking longer to do a better job.

The lawn is mowed about 10-12 times per season.

Looking for a fair price or rate for a decent job, something equitable for all. Thinking about a per hour rate as an incentive not to rush.

There may also be the option to have the neighbors son drive the compact tractor instead of using their own mower, in this case the rate would be just for labor. But not sure about this for liability issues and plus having someone else operating my equipment, etc.

Any suggestions, opinions, etc. would be great.

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #2  
50.00 an acre .

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #3  
I think it depends on where your property is located...call around and see what others are charging...look on Craigs List...and stop and thing ...jobs are hard for young ones to find now...$9.00 an hour is great pay for them..so make it $10 an hour...he lives next door ...he has no commuting cost...have his parents sign some permission slip to hold you harmless whether he is on your tractor or his own...call your ins. agent and get an umbrella policy..so If he uses his own tractor , gas and his time..the $50 an hour Kevin mentioned is probably about right...but if he uses yours it would be $10 an hour - you will have to have the insurance and parental contract anyway...:2cents:

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #4  
I think it depends on where your property is located...call around and see what others are charging...look on Craigs List...and stop and thing ...jobs are hard for young ones to find now...$9.00 an hour is great pay for them..so make it $10 an hour...he lives next door ...he has no commuting cost...have his parents sign some permission slip to hold you harmless whether he is on your tractor or his own...call your ins. agent and get an umbrella policy..so If he uses his own tractor , gas and his time..the $50 an hour Kevin mentioned is probably about right...but if he uses yours it would be $10 an hour - you will have to have the insurance and parental contract anyway...:2cents:
You went from $50/acre to $50/hour.

OP - Give him the minimum wage + 10% for the first time, and the same for his parents tractor plus fuel cost. With the understanding that damages are paid for by them (whoops hit a metal pipe need a new blade). Make sure he walks it before he mows it.

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #5  
You went from $50/acre to $50/hour
My mistake...I meant $50 an acre..sorry...I guess when I mentioned the $9.00 an hour going rate for young folks doing any job ...I carried the hours thought over...thanks for catching that..

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #6  
Your own equipment a buck a minute.

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres.
Thanks for the responses to date.

A neighbor who owns a contracting business stated he would come up with a few names that do this kind of work. Would assume most professional work in the area is brush hogging with larger equipment as most cleared land is much larger acreage pasture. Otherwise the land is forest or something in between.

The neighbor has a riding lawn mower, I have the tractor/mower if that makes a difference.

Would $50/acre still be reasonable for someone with a riding lawn mower? As stated there are no transportation costs or time factor in bringing the equipment to the site as the son could swing into the other yard from his parents.

The insurance agent states from a liability standpoint best to have anyone doing the job use their own equipment, there is ample insurance coverage in place. The son is over 18.

Will walk the area with anyone who does the job and point out potential problems so no surprises.

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #8  
As you described the property, $125-$150 per cut would be about right. Might be totally different based on locality, but that is what would be appropriate in my area.

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #9  
One other thing to consider is how reliable is the son? AND If it goes bad for any reason will it affect you or the relatives relationship with the neighbors? If your assuming most of the resposibility and doing the "helping out the local kid thing" fine but if you start getting into contractor type agreements and cost I'd just hire a pro and not have to worry if anything happens. 125-150 or 50 bucks is a big difference in price every week. It comes down to whats your time and piece of mind worth.
I'd contact a few local landscape companies and see what they want to bid for the job.

/ How much to pay for lawn mowing of 2-3 acres. #10  
Dang, I was cheap when I was mowing lawns like that on the side. I'd get $65.00 a mow provided it wasn't overly long! $50.00 an acre?? :shocked: I just might get back in business for that rate!