Differences in zero turn transmissions

/ Differences in zero turn transmissions #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
When looking at zero turn mowers they talk about the transmissions in numbers like 2800, 3100 or 3200. My question is do all the manufacturers use transmissions built by the same company, which I would doubt but not sure, or does the number indicate a size or build standard or something else? Sounds like a weird question, I have never stopped and asked a dealer what the numbers really mean, just thought I would throw it out to you guys to set me straight.

/ Differences in zero turn transmissions #2  
Hydro 'transmissions' are pump/motor packages, sometimes separate and sometimes integrated. A small homeowner mower may have a one pump & two motor system vs one of each. It seems the integrated ones are becoming more common in all sizes, either by maker or vendor choice. Number series can delineate size range and/or configuration, and makers can mix & match through their product lines/sizes.

IMO they're all good. Choosing among 'em can be less fussy than say gear vs HST with a tractor & a guy might really only need to be aware of the occasional odd-ball with a bad rep earned over time. It might be the least detail to worry about when shopping if it's the other features/details of a particular machine that'd make you happy or not, so they're like opinions .. everybody has one & no one has to be 'wrong'. :2cents:

/ Differences in zero turn transmissions #3  
The ones you are seeing... 2800, 3100, etc. are all made by Hydro-Gear. These are what most manufacturers are using... there are other brands though. The 3100 and up are considered commercial grade.

/ Differences in zero turn transmissions
Thanks guys. so the 3100 or larger would be the more heavy duty ones, good to know. I've been considering a zero turn to save some mowing time. I'll keep watching craigs list for a deal.

/ Differences in zero turn transmissions #5  
Thanks guys. so the 3100 or larger would be the more heavy duty ones, good to know. I've been considering a zero turn to save some mowing time. I'll keep watching craigs list for a deal.
Yeah, as eluded to the Hydrogear integrated units are pretty well dominating all but the flagship series ZTR's for all manufacturesr(which you can still get the separate pump/wheel motors on). The ZT-2800 is the smallest "serviceable"(can change oil & filter) and the EZT is the dominant "Residential" tranny and is sealed(wouldn't recommend it for large area mowing or longevity). My Gravely Pro-Turn 100XDZ has the ZT-3400, which even though there are the ZT-3100(and this year the ZT-3200) "comercial grades" I consider the ZT-3400 & ZT-5400 as the truly full-blown Commercial grade trannies. Hope this additional info helps!!