Snapping Turtle Removal

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #1  

fluffhead31

Tractor
NH TC35A w/ 16LA FEL
We have a little fish pond, roughly 20' x 10'. We have kids so we had to put a fence around it. A few weeks ago this female snapping turtle who i presume was in the area laying eggs wanted to get in the pond but she was getting caught in the fence. Several times i got her untangled and pointed her away from the pond but she kept coming back and getting stuck so i eventually opened a section of fencing and went to bed. Not surprisingly, she is now in the pond and I want her gone! She is destroying all of the vegetation and probably eating the fish and frogs (though i have no proof). I tried removing another section of fencing and making a nice easy path for her to walk away on her own but she hasn't found it. The turtle is big and intimidating...the picture attached doesn't do it justice. The neck sticks out a good 8-12" and looks thick and strong.

Any thoughts on how to get her our of there (other than a 12 gauge:) ?? She is tough to see...usually hiding below the lily pads and disappears when humans approach.

Attachments

• turtle.jpg
    turtle.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 478
   / Snapping Turtle Removal #2  
Sounds like your first experience with a snapping turtle?? You definitely NEED her gone, beyond WANTING her gone. Turtles will destroy your pond and yes,,, definitely eating anything they can catch. The turtle will not leave now unless the food source dwindles. Next Summer when you see the damage done to your pond you'll wish you had went the gun route. I prefer a .22. Takes patience sitting on the bank when the turtle is active and a quick shot when the head appears.

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #3  
Sounds like your first experience with a snapping turtle?? You definitely NEED her gone, beyond WANTING her gone. Turtles will destroy your pond and yes,,, definitely eating anything they can catch. The turtle will not leave now unless the food source dwindles. Next Summer when you see the damage done to your pond you'll wish you had went the gun route. I prefer a .22. Takes patience sitting on the bank when the turtle is active and a quick shot when the head appears.

Agreed. Take it out..

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #4  
You may have to drain it but the do sell turtle traps.

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #5  
He's right. You need to get rid of it now.
.22 target practice.

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #6  
I prefer a .22 and a jug or tea sitting in a chair under a tree. Sip the tea until the turtle gives you that opportune head shot, but don't be in a hurry the longer you wait patiently the farther they will come out and the better shot they will give.

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #7  
Call Turtle man and give him some cupcakes!:turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle:

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #8  
I bow to the wisdom of ovrszd and others, for me it's a Ruger 10/22 with Leupold scope, on the bigger ponds my grandson sits in the back of a pickup with his .17 bolt gun and scope. My father in law use to have some luck fishing for them and they are quite tasty.

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #9  
I bow to the wisdom of ovrszd and others, for me it's a Ruger 10/22 with Leupold scope, on the bigger ponds my grandson sits in the back of a pickup with his .17 bolt gun and scope. My father in law use to have some luck fishing for them and they are quite tasty.

My Dad loved to fish for them and eat them. A major undertaking to cut one up. Supposedly seven different kinds of meat. :licking:

I couldn't get by the thought so never tried it. Was always an adventure to be fishing in a john boat with Dad and him hook a turtle. He'd bring it right in the boat with us and then hold his pliers in front of it until it would strike, then catch it by the beak and cut off it's head. I miss those adventures with my Dad, although I hated it at the time!!! :laughing:

/ Snapping Turtle Removal #10  
Turtle trap 3.1. I built one that was quite successful for the pond at the ranch but the moving parts needed regular service. This unit has no moving parts. It's sitting on a pond in town for "testing".

IMG-20130628-00054.jpg