noob question on planting seed

/ noob question on planting seed #1  

shdybrady

Tractor
yanmar 1802
I am about to start renovating my pasture. And my tool of choice is my box blade for this. Mainly because its the only thing I have and the pasture is pretty compacted. The only thing I am unsure about its after i throw the seed out should I drag the box blade back over with the diggers up to bury the seed. It is on a hill so I think just over seeding will get get blown away or washed down.

/ noob question on planting seed
Another thing I have considered is buying a sod roller to push the seed into the ground

/ noob question on planting seed #3  
If you fertilize and keep it clipped it will do well. A box blade is not a pasture renovating tool. It is an earth grading tool.

/ noob question on planting seed #4  
I own a box blade, and I have never found much use for it in planting grass seed.
I know folks who do pasture, and I will ask next time I see them.
In my yard, I use the plug aerator to knock holes, and I broadcast the seed. The next rain, each little plug hole has a bait of seed, and water washed the dirt in on top (from the rain.)
If I had to do pasture, I'd be tempted to look into a grain drill, but not before talking to my beef farmer friends. Grass seed is pretty expensive, and I couldn't do in a pasture what I can do in my yard.

The only reason I was going to use ny box blade is my pasture is really compacted. In areas grass doesnt grow and in other areas it stays muddy and almost resemble a pig pen. Thats the ony reason I decided to go ahead and use the box blade.

/ noob question on planting seed #6  
The only reason I was going to use ny box blade is my pasture is really compacted. In areas grass doesnt grow and in other areas it stays muddy and almost resemble a pig pen. Thats the ony reason I decided to go ahead and use the box blade.

You are trying to make up for the lack of a proper sub-soiling in the compacted / wet areas.

So you are saying I should use my box blade at all? I'm new to this so all this just guessing with a little bit of research. But what I have read is that I need to plow roughly about 4" down to get all the compact soil loosened up. This only in a portion of the pasture at the bottom of a hill. The hill is hard as a rock. So it is really compacted as well. As far as I know this pasture has been used since 2004 and the previous owners didnt do any aerating.

/ noob question on planting seed #8  
So you are saying I should use my box blade at all? I'm new to this so all this just guessing with a little bit of research. But what I have read is that I need to plow roughly about 4" down to get all the compact soil loosened up. This only in a portion of the pasture at the bottom of a hill. The hill is hard as a rock. So it is really compacted as well. As far as I know this pasture has been used since 2004 and the previous owners didnt do any aerating.

There are people here who are expert or near expert, and I am not one of those, sorry.
You say you are new, but what's that really mean? You may know far more than I do about it.

One resource people fail to use often enough in my opinion is their local extension agent, and that agent's resources. I have a PDF I routinely refer to written by the NC Dept of AG about turf grass. I bet you that GA. has a similar document written for GA. residents that will take into consideration your growing conditions and your soil.

Soil samples? What do your soil samples say? Do you have to add iron? Any other micro ingredients? The reason I ask...I hear that if the soil is doctored right for the seed, you can't KEEP it from growing, but if your soil is not right, you can't make it grow right.

It's the wrong time of year, here. What about Ga? Don't you need to wait?

With our winters running alittle late we can get grass to grow up until about November. So I think I can get grass to grow before then

/ noob question on planting seed #10  
With our winters running alittle late we can get grass to grow up until about November. So I think I can get grass to grow before then

Some of the chosen planting season is about ground temperature, but right much of it has to do with available rainfall.