Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition

/ Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition #1  

Nick79

I am wanting to wire a push button and toggle switch to replace the current keyed ignition but not sure on how to do so. It is on a Country Clipper zero turn. There are 7 wires going into the back of the current ignition switch and I'm not sure where they all should go.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

/ Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition #2  
A wiring diagram for the ignition switch would be best.

Do you mean to replace the ignition entirely, or just add a starter button? If the latter, then all you need to do is identify the starter wire and use a normally-open switch to put 12v on it when closed. Key goes in the ignition, key gets turned to "run", button is used to start. Key is turned off to kill the engine.

If you mean to replace the ignition entirely, your situation gets more complicated, since you need both start, stop, and run positions. Maybe a three-way switch that springs to center, with up being "start" and down being "stop" and center being "run". But then you've always got the mower in "run" and accessories can run down the battery. So maybe a "stop/run" toggle switch and a "start" button would be best?

/ Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition #3  
   / Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition #4  
The way I read it that was what he had in mind.

I see. I missed that in the original post.

Seems like that would be relatively easy to wire up. The ignition switch is probably set up so "off" opens some number of circuits, "run" closes them, and "start" closes the starter, in addition to the other circuits. So it's just a matter of using a multimeter to pinout the ignition switch and figure out which should be open and which should be closed in "start" and "run", and then getting a N-pole switch, where N is the number of circuits, and wiring them up accordingly, then running the starter through a momentary button.

/ Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition
View attachment WIRE DIAGRAM2.pdf

I uploaded a wiring diagram for the current key switch. I am wanting to use a toggle switch to turn off the engine and a push button to start it and do away with the key start. Im not sure tho what to do with all the wires so everything still works like the hour meter, engine oil switch etc. I am terrible with trying to figure this stuff out.

hope this explains better what I'm wanting to do.
Any help would be great.

/ Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition #6  
All I see for the picture is the broken link icon, when I click on it all I get an error message. ??

/ Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition #7  
If you can't read the schematic save yourself a bunch of aggravation and buy an OEM key switch and replace yours. Plug and play. Otherwise you probably will end up paying somebody to fix the mess you cause.

/ Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition #9  
You can do what you want to do but it will take two toggle switches and a momentary start button. Look on your diagram at the switch contact table and this will tell you what you need. You need one toggle to make contact between wires connected to terminals G +M (switch "ON"). This will ground the engine ignition and stop the engine. When this switch contacts are open (switch "OFF") the engine can run.

The second toggle needs to make contact (switch "ON") between wires connected to terminals B+L. This allows battery charging and hour meter to run and probably headlights too.

The starter button (momentary "ON") needs to make contact between wires connected to terminals B+S. This brings 12V power to your starter solenoid to crank the engine.

You could arrange the toggles so that both toggles throw in same direction at the same time (one "ON" and one "OFF"). This would be the equivalent of the OFF and RUN positions on your key switch.

Whew! All that being said... those 5 terminal lawn tractor ignition key switches are sold at TSC, NAPA and other auto parts stores and are cheap! You would save yourself a whole bunch of time and probably money too if you just got yourself a new key switch and just plugged it in.

Good luck.

/ Wiring a push button with toggle switch to replace keyed ignition #10  
And make sure the toggles have that appropriate level of weatherproofing. I agree with others, it's just too inexpensive to consider anything g but an OEM replacement.