Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
Here is a couple of pictures of my lawn tractors rear end. This happened 4 days out of the manufacturers two year warranty. Luckily it was only 4 days into the one year extended warranty I bought. Believe it or not that was the only time in my life I ever bought an extended warranty. The extended warranty company is making up their mind on whether to replace the transmission or "buy me out" (giving me the tractor purchase price money back). Have any of you ever had a hyrostatic transmission faliure on a small lawn tractor?

Spence

Pic 1 attached

Attachments

• 312824-DCP04321.jpg
    312824-DCP04321.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,159
   / Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure
Pic 2 attached

I went inside to get a fresh bottle of water and came out to get back on the tractor when I noticed the black fluid all over the tire.

Attachments

• 312827-DCP04323.jpg
    312827-DCP04323.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,401
   / Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure #3  
<font color="blue"> Have any of you ever had a hyrostatic transmission faliure on a small lawn tractor?
</font>

Hi Spence,

I have HST on my JD 425 lawn tractor with 810 hrs on it. I've never had any kind of failure or problem with the HST in this tractor.

...Bob

Bob, as you probably guessed my tractor is not a JD. It is a WeedEater (a.k.a Poulan a.k.a. Electrolux). Sears sells the same exact tractor, their LT1000 series. I bought it from Sam's club two years ago. We had just moved to this house and my wife didn't think I needed a riding mower so I couldn't justify spending any more money on one to her. We probably have less than 15,000 sq. ft. of lawn on our six acres. If I remember right your acreage is in the 3 digits, isn't it?

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure #5  
Did the HST fail or just start leaking?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Did the HST fail or just start leaking? )</font>

I would say "both". The repair shop said that the only solution was to completely replace the transmission. He said that trying to repair it was not the proper way to solve the problem. There is some reason that it started to leak in the first place. Now that it has leaked, dirt has gotten in there.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure #7  
Spencer, I had one hydro pump on my zero turn scag fail around 650 hours. Blew out in the garage made a huge mess and would not move to the trailer had to push it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. New pump was $600 not including install got it rebuilt for $300 have had no trouble since got close to 1100 on it now.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure #8  
<font color="blue"> If I remember right your acreage is in the 3 digits, isn't it? </font>

Yep.....158 to be exact. I estimate I cut about 5-6 acres of lawn with the 425 each time I mow. This acreage has steadily risen over the years. I started with a smaller amount of acreage (of about 1 acre) when I had my JD 111. Larger cutting area though demanded I get a bigger lawn tractor. I feel like I'm at my limits to what I'm cutting with the 425 (takes me total of about 10 hours each cutting not including another hour or so trimming with the JX75 walk behind and the string trimmer). Anything larger than this and I'm tempted to upgrade to something like a Toro Groundmaster with a 72" cutting deck.

How much will it cost to replace this tranny on your lawn tractor? Will it be cost prohibitive to replace? Might it not be worth considering the purchase of a quality walk behind, self-propelled mower to cut your acreage (about 120'x120' plot) if cost of tranny replacement is prohibitive? FWIW -- I'm seeing many good sales now at places like Home Depot on quality self-propelled units (Honda, Toro, John Deere).

...Bob

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure #9  
I had two occasions at my shop where the Hydrostatic transmission went south. One on a Husquavarna & the other a Craftsman. Neither of them leaked like yours, they just lacked power going up hill. Both are made by Hydrogear. Having never worked on one before, I did some research. Hydrogear tech said both are servicable & guesstimated about 150.00 or so just in parts. The fellow with the Husky decided to park it for now & maybe work on it in the winter as he has another tractor.
The Craftsman fellow wanted me to buy him a new transmission. He also wants to work on it in the winter. I am actually anxious to open one up & see what it's all about. My main trepidation was that I would not be able to recognize what parts were wore out, hence alot of work & parts & still no go. I have a tech manual & the tech. was very helpful so maybe we can figure it out together. This will be a freebie. I will treat it as a learning experience & let the customer make the decisions on what to replace. Usually in a shop the dealer will replace the transmission as the labor costs & parts would probably be about the same. BTW the husky hydro costs 350.00 & the Craftsman 599.00. Different MN's.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Faliure #10  
Spencer,

We had a power king years ago that blew up & spewed oil not once, but twice /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. It was a bear to push up ramps into the pickup for the trip to the fix-it man.

For that size lawn, you best bet is a 36" - 48" commercial walk behind mower - the kind the pro lawnmowers use. Cost about $2.5K new (same as a MMM for your New Holland). It will last the rest of your natural life. It will also cut the lawn about twice as fast as a lawn tractor. You can even get a caster wheel to ride on behind it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Here is JD's version Deere GS30