FD Kees 36" walk behind...

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #11  
Well, first major glitch has been encountered and I don't have the machine available for a good look.

Can't find brake bands. Never replaced them on this mower and *assumed* it would be like any other commercial mower. Nope, it appears you need assemblies that have the band attached. Expensive. $35-50 depending on which side.

Need to research re-lining, I'm not throwing another hundred bucks towards brakes. All the modern bands I've installed in recent years have adhesive to hold the linings in. Can't be too hard to replace the friction material. Brakes are critical. Once you cross reference some parts the availability opens up but the prices remain steep.

Snapper #'s are 76339/76340

2142019r.JPG

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #12  
   / FD Kees 36" walk behind...
Awsome..

Question: Are your drive belts 44"? I bought 44's but they seem way too loose even with adjustments, but 43" ones wont even go around the pulleys?

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #14  
Awsome..

Question: Are your drive belts 44"? I bought 44's but they seem way too loose even with adjustments, but 43" ones wont even go around the pulleys?

44" is specified and a I have a pair sitting here and they look to be appropriate, still haven't driven up to pick up the old girl. I'll try to get you pics of the oddball cutting height configurations if not figure out my scanner feature and do the whole manual for ya. Should have my machine here this weekend, really want a good look at this "brake assembly" bit. I worked for a company that ran nearly identical John Deere commercials back a lifetime ago, LOL, try to research that crap, JD is wishy-washy when it comes to commercial machines. Guess it's why the basic Scag and it's clones are easiest to cross reference?

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #15  
Awsome..

On this note, belt/brake wear is dealt with by the threads on the long brake op rods that go to the handles. You'll just need to back these off or tension them down. There's a fine line in braking and steering that takes 15min to 1/2 hour to get braking and tracking coordinated. Can't do it without the machine running.

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind...
Ya.. I adjusted them about halfway up each threaded part of the operating rods and there still is way too much slack in the belts.. Theres also 3 different holes for the brake actuator. Mines in the 'tightest' one now.. Whats funny is the old belts work perfect but measure out at a little over 43.5".. Wouldnt think 1/2" would make that much difference..

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #17  
I just joined the group and have a F D Kees walk behind mower from 1986. It's model # M36184H and it's in vcg for the year. With fresh fuel, after draining and cleaning the system, it fired right up with no signs of smoke from the 11.5 HP Honda motor. I still need to change the oil and fit a new spark plug plus change some belts and make some adjustments but it is a really solid mower. I'd like to get a copy of the manual for this mower. Can anybody help out?
Regards,
Ray