Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Husqvarna / John Deere

Default Re: How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.

So your saying to apply it when the forsythia get's it's yellow flower or when it gets it's green leaves?

Stuff for the Nutgrass will that kill the grass I want to keep also?
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS
    John Deere LT 133
    Husqvarna 7021P
    Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported with .025 pop up Muffler Mod
    Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
    Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
    STIHL 009 1998
    STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
    STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
    STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower2012

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Default Re: How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.

At least the Nutgrass killer I use, Sedgehammer/Manage, is OK to apply over the top of fescue.

For large area applications, I have used a pressure washer with soap intake tube to disperse the Sedgehammer. But normally I have been doing spot applications and just use a pump sprayer. Use a shot of ivory dish soap as a surfactant.

Tractor
    looking

To JoeG's questions. I like to apply the pre-emergent when the Forsythia flowers have bloomed and are full yellow. Its not that critical to get the pre-m down right when they are turning yellow. Mother nature give us a pretty generous window of time. When the Forsythia are blooming it means the ground temp 3 inches down is about 50 degrees and that is when the crabgrass starts to sprout. You can hardly see it below all the taller grass and it waits and waits until about July (here in MD anyway) to take off and grow like crazy. You put down the pre-emergent in that early Spring time when the plants are small and the pre-m can halt the root growth. Please remember also that if you apply a per-m in the spring that you can not disrupt the soil in anyway and you will not be able to put down grass seed for the next several months. If you plan to seed you will have to wait until late summer or early fall. You have to follow the bag directions carefully.

The sedge killers will not kill tall fescue but you need to read the bottle to make sure it will not harm the type of grasses you have.

JoeG--- Just looked in your profile and see you have a ported 562XP. Nice. Do you ever frequent the web site ArboristSite.com. They are always talking about chainsaws and porting/mods. Hope I'm not violating any site rules for mentioning that site. I am not affiliated with them in any way.
    Mark

Tractor
    Husqvarna / John Deere

Can you guy's Post links to the products you recommend, I Have A Home Depot Near me and I could order from Amazon also.

Yes I am a Member of that site, I had the Saw Ported by a Member from there.
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS
    John Deere LT 133
    Husqvarna 7021P
    STIHL 009 1998

Tractor
    looking

Since I have had the crabgrass and nut grasses under control it has been quite a while since I have had to buy any of these products. For the crabgrass I would use Weed-B-Gon Max Plus Crabgrass Control Concentrate which you have to tank mix and spray and is available from Homedepot, Lowes and Walmart Southern states, Tractor Supply, Agway. Many local places to get it from no need to pay shipping if you don't have to. I do not recommend any weed and feed products for post emergent crabgrass killing. You get much better results from a spray product for killing crabgrass. Remember you are only using this stuff since you already have crabgrass.

For an on line source I have used these guys with good success. You may have to cut and paste

Quinclorac Select 75DF Herbicide 1 lb 1 AC Drive 75 Crabgrass Control | eBay

This is the straight Quincloric and its a tank mix for your boom sprayer or tank or back pack sprayers. Nothing granular. The reason I do not like any of the weed and feed products is that you have to rely on the grass being wet so the product will stick to the blades of grass. Its really hit or miss literally. With the spray you know you are getting good even coverage where you want it.

I keep forgetting you are in NY and will not be able to get Dimension (active ingredient Dithiopyr). Only commercial licensed applicators can put down Dimension. That may be a good cost option for you. When I first became a lawn nut, I got the biggest improvement when I got rid of the crabgrass with a properly timed pre-emergent. I'm not advocating making a midnight run to the boarder to pick up Dimension but I won't say anything if you don't. The Dimension 0-0-7 is not sold in the local big box stores anywhere. You have to go to a garden center or John Deer/Lesco or Southern States or Agway to purchase that. You have the rest of the summer and all winter-spring to figure out what to do about a pre-emergant for next spring though.

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

You can also apply round up to the nut grass when it is taller by "painting" it with a towel or something soaked in roundup. Add blue dye to see where you have applied.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Tractor
    Husqvarna / John Deere

Is Dimension sold in PA? I live on the border.

Kyle you are saying to wipe each stem with round up?
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS
    John Deere LT 133
    Husqvarna 7021P
    STIHL 009 1998

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Yes, you can make a dauber by wrapping cloth around a piece of Pvc and figure a way to suspend it at the right height. then apply to the tall weeds.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Tractor
    Kubota b1400h

I second the weed-b-gon max + crabgrass. Also apply fertilizer in fall or early spring, so your regular grass will come in thicker and keep the crab grass from coming up.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch

Quote Originally Posted by JOE G View Post
    Is Dimension sold in PA? I live on the border.
    It must be. I can order it online from "Do It Best Hardware" and have it shipped to my local store for pick-up. There are no shipping charges when done this way as it is delivered to the store with the regular weekly order. As far as I can tell, pre- emergent crabgrass control with Dimension it is not so readily available at the usual sources. Search online to see if you have a Do It Best across the border nearby, make that your store, then you can order it in late Winter/early Spring. They will call you when it comes in.
    You will have to read the descriptions of the various products to see which ones include the Dimension as the active ingredient.
    BX25, "60" MMM, 3 point hitch, Brinly 12" cat 0 1 bottom plow, TSC Countyline carry all, Kubota ballast box, 4X4 Loyal drag harrow, BXpanded Piranha tooth bar, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, Bro-Tek wheel spacers, Bro-Tek backhoe ripper tooth. Kubota BX2763A front plow, Phoenix T4 48" rototiller, Harbor Freight Quick Hitch, BXpanded Quick-on Work light Kit, Mark Hodge stabilizers.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast