How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #51  
The usual crabgrass 'preventer' is a broad spectrum germination suppressant that typically lasts up to 3 mos and won't allow re-seeding before it breaks down completely in the soil. (dormant weed seeds like to sprout mos/yrs later) Coverage isn't all that with bagged granular products, typically 5k sq ft (~70 x 70 ft) so cost may be high if you want to treat a large area. Granulars work best when applied to wet grass, can be messy, and require the usual thorough wash downs if blended with fertilizer. Herbicides are best absorbed on sunny days. That said, one could do ok with that bit of nice lawn by the house.

Treating patches with liquids using a spot or boom sprayer may be more efficient. You won't get 'em all, and a preventer won't kill anything, only prevent anything from taking off on last season's seeds. My choice to kill broadleaf weeds and standing grasses (nutsedge, foxtails, crabs) is 'Weed B Gone max PLUS CG control'. (2,4-D, +quinclorac, +dicamba). It's heqq on Southern bentgrasses that don't do well in our cooler climes, but harmless to 'cool season' lawns (blues, ryes, fescues).(Details are on the label.)

We won't win the war on undesirables, but a guy with time to invest can sure win some battles. btw: I use a 1 gal hand sprayer and take morning walks hammering away at the enemy. (Minimal run-off to the pond.) Otherwise, if your water supply can keep up with one (flow and pressure) a hose-end sprayer is a one finger weapon. (mix your own, add fertilizer, whatever ..) Like reviving fruit trees, it'll take a few seasons to get things right. Let us know what you go with, and how you like it. You should know that by the fourth of July. ;)

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.
Nutsedge I think Ill have to wait till it grows to spray it down. So for now i guess Ill try a Pre emergent, The one i linked to at home depot is $48.00 for a 50 pound bag that covers 12,500 Sq Ft. I guess Ill need about 4 Bags. Agway has two different types/Brands but there $60.00

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #53  
+1 on the low environmental impact :thumbsup: My bad in post #51. :eek: It's 'weed-n-feeds' that like to go on while the lawn is wet, watered, morning dew ... and IIRC you'd be fine if dry and ok to water it in.

btw: I do best overseeding between raking & when bow season opens here (Oct 1) too. Too many seed eatin' birds on my sparse dunes. Spring is nigh, and the war is about to resume. :punch: ...... :devil: