How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #1  

JOE G

Gold Member
Tractor
Husqvarna / John Deere
Hi, I have about 2 acres of lawn, Over the last few years I have had to dig up certain areas, for different projects, After re planting the lawn in those spots I seem to have a lot of Crab Grass and Nut Grass, The are some big patches where the crab grass is thick. I am getting annoyed with it since it grows so much faster then the normal grass. What are my options?

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #2  
What is the "normal" grass? MSMA works well for controlling crab grass in Bermuda. I'm not sure it's labeled for lawns, and it's hard to find now. A pre emergent crab grass preventer may be the best option for next year.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.
Is there one that would work on Crab and Nut?

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #4  
I don't know anything about nut grass.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #5  
If it weren't for crabgrass, I'd have no grass at all...

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #6  
MSMA is great and I have used it successfully in the past. When I went ot get some this year I was told it is off the market.

Id like something that I put into a Spreader and put it out on the lawn, From what I read spring is the best time, But i have not been able to figure out what I should use, most people say MSMA but then they say you can't get it anymore.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #8  
I've had good luck on nut and other sedges under any but drought conditions with Ortho's Weed B Gon Max (2-4-D + Dicamba) with CG control (+ Quinclorac). It's heqq on foxtail & most unwelcome bunch-grasses too, but not so hot on quackgrass or invasives with rhizomes (cogongrass, common reedgrass).

Don't know if there's a granular that'll do the same job. :confused3: btw: Spot-spraying is underrated, easy for me to say with barely 2 ac of lawn. Only use the wand on my tank sprayer for shoreline areas but never the boom anywhere due to wind drift concerns. Weeds etc are a bear, but patience trumps solutionist high-tech mumbo-jumbo and gimmickry when you go to war with 'em. Oh, and no lack of weed variety here ...
IMG_1035.JPG

Lawn looks good.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #10  
If it weren't for crabgrass, I'd have no grass at all...

:thumbsup: I depend on my crabgrass...I don't see why folks hate it ...It grows better than any other grass and is a rich green....I'm with you...I have fescue and bermuda mixed in with my crabgrass....Don't kill your crabgrass...enjoy it...;)