Recomendations for the best / solid garden tractor that will last ?

/ Recomendations for the best / solid garden tractor that will last ? #1  

Windy Acres

Tractor
Case 585 / Kubota L2501 HST
Ive got 10 acres to mow, Im running 2 Toro / Wheel Horse 268H 's. (2001 Hydro - 20hp Kohler V-Twin Riding Mowers)

Ive owned several riders over the years, from junk (MTD) to John Deere, still have a JD F687 Zero Turn, and a M&W Zero Turn, but I need a conventional riding mower / garden tractor for pulling a vacuum for collecting grass clippings. Due to the acreage, I mow daily, and the grass clippings feed, rabbits, goats, steers, horses,chickens, ducks. The zero turns basically do the trimming around trees and buildings.

The Toro / Wheel Horse 260 series, which seem to be decent mowers, are not holding up to my frequency of use, so Im looking for a more durable machine.

Looking for at least a 48 deck, a little bigger is fine, but no smaller. Also at least 20hp-ish, staying away from problem motors, or horrifically expensive to repair engines ( like Onan ).

I would not mind a conventional deck "clutch" in lieu of a $500 electric model. Looking for a durable engine (Briggs if fine, no Tecumseh or something I can swap a Honda into, some Kolher is ok), parts availability, assuming it will be used, and I dont really care how old. Basically, who made the "small block chevy" of riding mowers ? Durable Deck, durable tractor, would like a hydro, but would also like shaft drive, not belt/pulley. An old simplicity caught my eye, with shaft drive and spin on oil filter for the hydro. Would also like a tractor with a serviceable hydro.

I dont know whats out there as to where to start to look, I guess I know what I dont want, would like some direction as to what to look at. Like who made shaft drive hydro mowers, that had good hydros and good engines ? I really dont care if its gas or diesel, and dont really care what they sell for used. I just want something I can run with maintenance that I dont have to keep tearing down. Ive completely worn out the steering on one of the Toros. Both drag links, tie rod ends, sector shaft, sector gear, ect. They are in a state of constant repair, and built to "lite" which is why I have two, so I have at least one that runs, and I can rob parts of the other, while I wait for new parts to arrive.

Power steering would be nice as well, but not mandatory.

Thanks for you for any suggestions, Windy.

/ Recomendations for the best / solid garden tractor that will last ? #2  
You wore out the Toro's as they are not made to cut 10 acres. No small tractor is made to work 10 acres daily. You should look at a mid sized tractor to keep up with that.

/ Recomendations for the best / solid garden tractor that will last ? #3  
I'd look at a used Kubota BX or small B series - here's one on CL. You can find others too. Kubota B7510 Tractor

The other choice is a JD 318 or Cub Cadet Super Garden Tractor Models 2082 Gas , 1782 with Kubota Diesel, and these have usually 54-60" decks.

Personally I would get a Kubota compact diesel tractor - what you will save in fuel and maintenance will pay off in the long run.

/ Recomendations for the best / solid garden tractor that will last ?
You wore out the Toro's as they are not made to cut 10 acres. No small tractor is made to work 10 acres daily. You should look at a mid sized tractor to keep up with that.

Yeah, I know they are not cut out for it, but they way they are built, the Toros that is, I figured that has to be better to take more abuse, even if the best is not cut out for it, I know there is better. Ive got a 790 JD compact, but its too big (30hp). I do have a finish deck for it, but I cant bag the grass even it if was small enough to get around all the obstacles. The property is sectioned off into 5 sections ( all fenced ) and there are 9 building and about 200+ trees to mow around. So while it is flat, and large, its busy as well. I trim with the zero turns, but still do allot of maneuvering with the lawn tractor / grass vacuum. Ive tried mowing it with the 790, when the grass was growing faster than I could feed it, its just not feasible due to its size, I keep hitting things causing damage with the tractor.

The other choice is a JD 318 or Cub Cadet Super Garden Tractor Models 2082 Gas , 1782 with Kubota Diesel, and these have usually 54-60" decks.

Your first suggestion is probably on the mark, but I dont have that kind of $ to spend. I like the idea of a JD or Cub Cadet w/ a diesel. Are the Cubs rugged with MTD being their owner ? I had an MTD bottom of the line 30 some inch rider, that I bought for the step kid to use, it was cheap, and was it ever garbage too. I literally gave it away after 3 years, it still ran, but was junk. That was at a different property, maybe a 1/2 acre of lawn to mow.

/ Recomendations for the best / solid garden tractor that will last ? #6  
Since you mentioned Simplicity, I had a Soverign 7016 that was quite stout. I bought it very used from a guy that used to mow & snowblow a city park with it. I used it hard for another 20+ years & sold it in working condition when I bought a Kubota BX. Kinda miss the Simplicity though, it was fun to mow with.

That said, I've always understood that the Deere 318 was the small block Chevy of garden tractors. Never owned one though.

/ Recomendations for the best / solid garden tractor that will last ? #7  
Livestock /10 acres/ heavy landscaping / you need a midsize tractor or less land you can't have it all on a budget !

Livestock /10 acres/ heavy landscaping / you need a midsize tractor or less land you can't have it all on a budget !

Thanks, but you missed parts of my post, I have a 2001 JD790 4x4 Compact, I also have a 1988 Case 380B with factory loader (very low hours), and a 1999 New Holland Lx885 Skid Loader. Im not under tooled, Im just looking for the most stout garden tractor. If I didnt need to collect the grass clippings, my 2 zero turns, in conjunction with my JD790 w/finish mower, Id have it handled.

The JD F687 Zero is a commercial model, not a consumer. Its built like it too. So back to my original question, acknowledging that a lawn tractor is not built for the use for which Im applying, who's unit is going to go the farthest with the least problems, for the best price.

I dont expect any mower to last forever, but what Im using, aint getting it. Im only using the Toros, because they came with the property. Plastic hoods (both broke), junk hydros, junk steering, pulleys and belts galore, I need a stout garden tractor, that I can pull a grass/leaf vac, and at least a 48 deck, I found if I get too 5', its too much grass for the vac and it clogs. A real compact tractor is too big for the job. I need a well built machine, I can always rebuild the motor, or upgrade it, its the rest that concern me. The JD318 is out, unless I could find one with a briggs, or a diesel (JD332 I believe), I want no part of a Onan.

"like2wheel" thanks for the comment on the Simplicity. I found one (sunstar) with a briggs vanguard 23hp, with a bum hole, but want to get some more input before I buy something.

/ Recomendations for the best / solid garden tractor that will last ? #9  
What about a bagging trailer for the big deere. I'm thinking a leaf vac. Would that work?

What about a bagging trailer for the big deere. I'm thinking a leaf vac. Would that work?

Thank you for you suggestion.

Thats what Im running, a leaf vac dumping trailer. I included a pic. My 790 JD has a 6' finish mower, with full rear discharge, which will not work with what I have now, Im trying not to "re-invent the wheel" Just need a better built garden tractor I also need some maneuverability, and the size garden tractor Im using now works perfect, its just does not hold up to the amount and kind of use Im giving it.

Also, when I get past 48" deck I have problems in the swails, ditches, and elevation changes, I know that because of the 6' decks I have, bigger is not better in my case. Im not mowing a ball field, if I was, Id buy a 3 section batwing and pull it with my 380B.

So Im not looking for "bigger is better" Im looking for "made better".

Attachments

• rabbit tractor1.jpg
    rabbit tractor1.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 702