Cub Cadet 1650 opinions/experiences?

/ Cub Cadet 1650 opinions/experiences? #1  

GSS

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7360SS, MF1100 & JDx585
I'm looking to upgrade my lawn mower from a '73 JD110 with 8HP and 39" deck to something a little larger and more powerful. We have about 1+ acres to cut and seems to take forever with the Deere. A friend found a nice used '70's Cub Cadet 1650 hydro for sale near his house. It's 16HP with a 48" deck. The kohler engine was completely rebuilt recently. Not sure why though. He was asking $850, but seemed that he would come down to about $750.

Anyone have one of these or know anything about them? I was primarily concerned about the hydro tranny.

Thanks.

- Gerald

/ Cub Cadet 1650 opinions/experiences? #2  
I don't know about that particular model, but Cub's have a good reputation. My grandad had several and a couple of them lasted in the 20 year neighborhood. But the newer models might be quite a bit different.

/ Cub Cadet 1650 opinions/experiences? #3  
GSS in Pittsburgh: you won`t go wrong with the 1650 I have a couple here and love them .check to see that the hydro does not take off on you when mowing. if it does the are cheap to repair just takes a little time. the actual hydro unit is indestructable.
The engine is mounted on a subframe on rubber mounts and they do get soft but are easy to change. I can give you aftermarket numbers for them.
check out ihregistry.com or ihcubcadet.com,great bunch of guys and lots of info on there forums.
I am just north of Pittsburgh . eamil if you have any questions. Rich

/ Cub Cadet 1650 opinions/experiences?
What exactly do you mean by 'take off on you'? Like surging forward? If it does, what's involved in fixing it?

Thanks!

- Gerald

/ Cub Cadet 1650 opinions/experiences? #5  
It will either creep forward from N or increase speed as you drive/mow .there are some adjustments for minor if its major it will require some welding of the swash plate grooves back to original specs (or you can replace) if you check out ihcubcadet.com there is a nice write up in the faq. that is step by step. Rich

/ Cub Cadet 1650 opinions/experiences?
Thanks. I'll ask my buddy to check it out.