Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #1  

Nickanto

Tractor
2013 kubota l3200
Been researching zero turns for a couple of months now. Looked at Bad Boy, Gravely, Kubota Kommander, Skag, and Dixie Chopper. I originally had a 5k budget, but wanted to stay closer to 4k if possible. Ill start by saying if the Kubota was offered with a Kawasaki motor I would have probably shelled out the coin. It seemed very well designed and built. I'm a Big Kubota fan. The Skag Freedom Z was probably the nicest machine of the bunch, but I couldn't justify the extra 2k for what I would be using it for. I then checked out the Bad Boy Elite ZT, it looked extremely heavy duty, but after reading such mixed reviews on them I was turned off. Bigger and heavier isn't always better. I lastly went to a Gravely and Dixie chopper dealer. I honestly had no idea that Dixie Chopper was making a residential mower. I've always been a fan of their commercial stuff so I was surprised to see the Zee 2 and the price tag it had. The dealer was doing a year end Dixie Chopper blow out and had the 48 inch with a 23 horse Kawasaki for 3800. It seemed very well put together for the price and I like the simplicity of the design. No unnecessary bells and whistles that could break in the future. I also found out that msrp is going up around 500$ on the 14' Dixie Choppers so I decided to jump on the deal. I've got a fairly small yard, a bit less than an acre. But my parents are getting older so I've taken over their mowing duties which is about an acre and a half. Also we have a farm house with about 2 acres, so I think this mower will serve me well. So far I mowed all three yards yesterday and I love it, the Kawasaki sounds freakin awesome. It handled hills better that expected. All three yards are pretty much dead right now from the drought, but the cut seemed very nice. Thanks for looking!

IMAG0236_zps25bf0f13.jpg

IMAG0235_zps3645b9bd.jpg

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #2  
I looked at those also when I bought my Ferris but I was looking for something to smooth out the bumps and those didn't do anything, not even a suspension seat on a $12K machine. What is the model number/HP on your Kawasaki engine. Looks like it has dual cup holders and storage?

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2
I looked at those also when I bought my Ferris but I was looking for something to smooth out the bumps and those didn't do anything, not even a suspension seat on a $12K machine. What is the model number/HP on your Kawasaki engine. Looks like it has dual cup holders and storage?

Yep duel cup holder, two beers is better than one! 12 volt outlet for charging phone or iPod. And a nice storag tray area to keep some tools or whatever. The motor is a FR691V

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #4  
I have a 03 Dixie Chopper, Silver Eagle and its been a good one for me.

Hope u have as gooda luck as I!

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #5  
Been researching zero turns for a couple of months now. Looked at Bad Boy, Gravely, Kubota Kommander, Skag, and Dixie Chopper. I originally had a 5k budget, but wanted to stay closer to 4k if possible. Ill start by saying if the Kubota was offered with a Kawasaki motor I would have probably shelled out the coin. It seemed very well designed and built. I'm a Big Kubota fan. The Skag Freedom Z was probably the nicest machine of the bunch, but I couldn't justify the extra 2k for what I would be using it for. I then checked out the Bad Boy Elite ZT, it looked extremely heavy duty, but after reading such mixed reviews on them I was turned off. Bigger and heavier isn't always better. I lastly went to a Gravely and Dixie chopper dealer. I honestly had no idea that Dixie Chopper was making a residential mower. I've always been a fan of their commercial stuff so I was surprised to see the Zee 2 and the price tag it had. The dealer was doing a year end Dixie Chopper blow out and had the 48 inch with a 23 horse Kawasaki for 3800. It seemed very well put together for the price and I like the simplicity of the design. No unnecessary bells and whistles that could break in the future. I also found out that msrp is going up around 500$ on the 14' Dixie Choppers so I decided to jump on the deal. I've got a fairly small yard, a bit less than an acre. But my parents are getting older so I've taken over their mowing duties which is about an acre and a half. Also we have a farm house with about 2 acres, so I think this mower will serve me well. So far I mowed all three yards yesterday and I love it, the Kawasaki sounds freakin awesome. It handled hills better that expected. All three yards are pretty much dead right now from the drought, but the cut seemed very nice. Thanks for looking!

IMAG0236_zps25bf0f13.jpg

IMAG0235_zps3645b9bd.jpg

Congrats on that deal!!! I have only heard good things about the Zee 2 and for the money it does seem like a residential unit that gives a lot of bang-for-your-buck!! It's got the serviceable ZT-2800 trannies and the Kawa engine which is extremely rare on a <$4k ZTR!!! Keep us posted on your ownership experience as you get some more hours on that machine. My guess is that you are only going to have good things to say about it!!

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #6  
Lookin good! How does it ride?

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #7  
Congrats, I have a couple scag walk behinds and a Walker GHS. We do not have a Dixie dealer local that I know of, but it sure does look nice in stainless. It is amazing how fast a zero turn mows. And if you like the stripes, there is nothing better.

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #8  

IMAG0236_zps25bf0f13.jpg

IMAG0235_zps3645b9bd.jpg

Great looking mower! Keep us posted on how it works out for you. Above all HAVE FUN.

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #9  
I bought a Zee 2 this year also. It has a 54" deck and 23hp Kaw. Had a problem with the belt tensioner spring on the deck. Busted two of them. They said there was a problem with 54" decks breaking springs. All Zee's use the same spring. Got a redesigned spring. Made it through one mowing. Hope the the problem is fixxed. The original spring was too short. Had to use a brake spring installation tool to stretch it over the pin, then using a two foot hinge handle to move the pulley to get the belt on. It's a wonder the spring didn't break just sitting there. The new one has a different type of spring and a spacer. Good so far.
After mowing a bit, I found the seat reclined a bit too much. Used some spacers to jack up the back of the seat. It's fine now.
I found it takes quite a bit of time to get used to the offset left front wheel. When mowing with the cut grass to the left, you need to keep the left wheel about a foot away from the the cut line to get a full swath.
It's hard to find a z-turn with the Kaw engine 2800 hydro's and a fabricated deck. Paid $4100. Not quite as good of a deal as you. The 54" runs $200 more than the 48", should have worked a little harder on the deal.
I'm happy and satisfied with Zee.

/ Picked up a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 #10  
I bought a Zee 2 this year also. It has a 54" deck and 23hp Kaw. Had a problem with the belt tensioner spring on the deck. Busted two of them. They said there was a problem with 54" decks breaking springs. All Zee's use the same spring. Got a redesigned spring. Made it through one mowing. Hope the the problem is fixxed. The original spring was too short. Had to use a brake spring installation tool to stretch it over the pin, then using a two foot hinge handle to move the pulley to get the belt on. It's a wonder the spring didn't break just sitting there. The new one has a different type of spring and a spacer. Good so far.
After mowing a bit, I found the seat reclined a bit too much. Used some spacers to jack up the back of the seat. It's fine now.
I found it takes quite a bit of time to get used to the offset left front wheel. When mowing with the cut grass to the left, you need to keep the left wheel about a foot away from the the cut line to get a full swath.
It's hard to find a z-turn with the Kaw engine 2800 hydro's and a fabricated deck. Paid $4100. Not quite as good of a deal as you. The 54" runs $200 more than the 48", should have worked a little harder on the deal.
I'm happy and satisfied with Zee.

For what you guys paid I can't bring myself to recommend anything except the Zee 2's(and maybe the Husqvarna M-ZT52 which is a little more money but "loaded" with ZT-3400 trannies, cast-iron spindles, foldable ROPS...basically an entry-level Commercial ZTR which for a lot of manufacturers is the price of their high-end Residential) whenever I hear that "my budget just won't allow much more than $5K". Definitely good bang-for-the-buck with those Dixies!!!