Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences...

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #1  

man114

I'm up to 4 different string trimmers now. I purchased a Homelite on clearance that was supposed to be light and easy to start when we bought our house. On the contrary it is nearly impossible to start. It is cheaply made beyond belief, it has no air filter but instead a screen which you are periodically supposed to clean according to the owners manual. I'm sure inhaling dirt is great for the motor. I made an air filter out of some foam for it. It didn't help or hurt it and the thing is still impossible to start. You have to use starting fluid, no ifs, ands or buts. Once it runs it runs fine. More problems but I'll get to that in a bit.

Last spring I garbage picked two more near my house.

First up was a Bolens. It looked brand new except the entire air filter assembly was snapped clean off leaving just the plate for the choke visible. It started and ran perfectly so I figured I'd just use it as is. Like the first Homelite this one won't start without starting fluid easily, but it is possible.

Number two was another Homelite. This one looked pretty heavily used but other than the recoil not catching all the time it is easier to start, it is the only one that can be easily started without starting fluid and is actually my favourite.

Now the string line issue. None of these things feeds worth a darn regardless of what line is used, or thickness if it allows multiple thickness. They over feed, jam, won't feed at all etc. The Bolens I can disassemble and hand feed in a few seconds, but it seems to break the line easier. The first Homelite wedges itself together requiring locking pliers to take apart and over feeds the line a few times before running out or jamming entirely. Homelite 2 does not feed at all but seems much better at the line not breaking even if I use thin line.

I've also got an old Ryan in the shed I could try an resurrect.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any better luck with any particular brand or if they are all pretty crappy. My dad has a Craftsman and an Eager Beaver and they're also mostly junk.

On the flip side since I can eventually get mine running are there any easy string replacement systems or blade systems that anyone prefers? I'm more interested in string since I like to go along my chain link fence and I don't mind breaking string but don't want to mess up blades or damage the fence. If anyone has used any of these and knows if one works better let me know. Or if you know of any sort of weed eater which isn't total junk I'd appreciate that too.

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #2  
   / Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #3  
I have the Echo speed rapid feed head and like it very much. I also have an extra head attachment with a blade for difficult areas. I have two Echo chainsaws, blower, chainsaw on a stick and trimmer and all start and run when I need them. Plus they all take the same oil/gas mixture!

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #4  
I have a Ryobi 4 cycle that works great, no mixing oil and gas. I have had it for 10 years. I have all the attachments, the edger, brushcutter blade, sawsall tree trimmer, chainsaw tree trimmer, cultivator, hedge trimmer and blower. I use the Pivotrim head with .105 string. It uses 4 pieces of string doubled up so there are 8 pieces spinning. It's easy for my wife to replace the string, just pull the old out and slide in the new piece. I usually can trim around the house and barns without having to replace the string.

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #5  
I use a Stihl - not the cheapest machine out but it starts after about 2 pulls from sitting all winter, always start first pull when warm and runs perfect. Forget the name of the "system" but you buy the motor separate and then the attachments you want. We have a small cultivator, weekwacker, a pole chainsaw, an extension, hedge trimmers (on a pole) and another weed wackier part that I leave a blade on. Takes about 15 seconds to change the "implements" and they all work flawlessly.

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #6  
All the ones you named are junk brands now, so I'm not surprised they give you so much trouble. Echo and Stihl make good dependable trimmers. Echos are even available at Home Depot.

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #7  
I've also got an old Ryan in the shed I could try an resurrect.

I haven't heard of a Ryan (by OMC) in many years. They were pretty cheap to buy and a neighbor and I each bought one back in the early '80s. They worked great. After the first year, the neighbor said he guessed to buy another string trimmer because his wouldn't start. I showed him how to adjust the carburetor and it was good to go for another year. And after 2 years, mine was stolen out of my garage. I really hated to lose it.

Of course now I have a Stihl and as with s219, I don't think I'd buy anything but Stihl or Echo. However, I'm sure some of the other brands make good machines, too. And personally, years ago, I tried an assortment of strings, but now only use Stihl's own string. Mine is the original bump feed. I thought I might like an auto feed, but the dealer talked me out of it. In 2004, I used a daughter's Black & Decker electric string trimmer with the auto feed, couldn't complain about the way it worked, but every time I used it, it would run out of string and I'd have to stop to put more on; sure used a lot of string.

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #8  
I have 2 Stihls. One is old, bought in the mid 90's, has been used & then sat, unused, for several years, then used some more. It always starts on the 2nd or 3rd tug. It's a lightweight grass trimmer. Last year I bought a larger, brush capable model based on the great service of the first one. I highly recommend the brand.

My dad had a Tanaka for many years that my sister and BIL now have. It's a reliable, well made machine.

Based on how well my cheap-o Echo chainsaw has worked over the past 10 years, I would give that brand good consideration.

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #9  
I have a Red Max commercial grade string trimmer that I bought two seasons ago. Before that it was a Tanaka commercial grade trimmer that I had for 8 seasons. These are $400 trimmers.

I use 0.155" string that I cut into 16" lengths and install in a clamp-type string head. The bump-type heads don't work on this size string. No problem since the 0.155" string last a long time.

I mow 1/4 mile of ditch, 1/4 mile of fence line, a small almond orchard and the normal landscape mowing around the house and out buildings. Small string trimmers that you find in the big box stores don't last long for this type service.

Good luck

/ Weed Eater trimmer line or alternatives and other experiences... #10  
I have two Tanaka brand trimmers and both have been great. I used the oldest one for over ten years, then converted it to a pole saw and still use it. I have a Echo backpack blower that always starts easily and a Sthil chainsaw that gets only limited use that starts on the first or second pull . I would reccomend either of those brands.I just never had good luck with any big box brands.