Hydro-Gear EZT transmission in most low end ZTRs

/ Hydro-Gear EZT transmission in most low end ZTRs #11  
Keep us posted. My Toro Z5000 is semi-retired from heavy duty cutting. But at some point I am sure I will be changing the fluids in the hydros.

It is a good mower and I wouldn't just give it away if it started acting up. I would definitely try and fix it. Too bad that new hydros are as much as it's worth though.

/ Hydro-Gear EZT transmission in most low end ZTRs #12  
Txdon,
It's a 1/4" allen key, clean out the hole first as it's deep and well Torq'd up. Well it is on mine.

/ Hydro-Gear EZT transmission in most low end ZTRs
Thanks for the info Rigaldou. I replaced the drive belt to the transmissions and noticed a large notch in the old belt where it could have been slipping. So far it has not acted up again. I'll keep my fingers crossed an my 1/4" allen key ready.

Update: I have mowed about 5 times and the problem has not return. This repair will go down as being resolved with a new drive belt.

/ Hydro-Gear EZT transmission in most low end ZTRs #15  
Hi TxDon,

I also appear to be having the same problem as you had. I have a Toro timecutter Z5000 zero turn mower. I have some hills in my yard and it seems to be having a harder time going up the hills than usual for the left side. It has been raining out a lot lately so at first I thought it had to do with it slipping on the wet grass but it seems to do it even if the grass is dry. I also just replaced my rear tires to see if that would fix it but no luck. It will start out okay and go up the hills for about 20 minutes and then after that I can tell it will start to struggle going up the hills. I have to compensate for it using the right side. If I go straight forward with the mower it appears to pull to the left which to me would mean there is more power on the right side than the left. I did order and received a new drive belt hoping this will fix it. I haven't installed it yet but was wondering if your mower was still holding up with your drive belt replacement. I am hoping mine is the same issue considering it doesn't happen right away but after about 20-30minutes of mowing. Thanks!

Rgadwood, The belt did not fix the problem, like your's the problem would only happen after it was heated up. I ended up just getting a Hustler Fastrack. It has filters and a place to add/check transmission fluid. The fluid expands and contracts so much that over time especially in the heat of the Summer you will loose some. If you can find a way to check/add fluid that would be the only way to fix the problem. I could not on that model craftsman without taking the mower apart.

/ Hydro-Gear EZT transmission in most low end ZTRs #17  
TxDon,

Thanks for your reply. From reading other posts It sounds like I can replace the oil on my hydro gears but need to take it completely off the tractor in order to do. Sounds like a day project. :). Thanks again for the response.

/ Hydro-Gear EZT transmission in most low end ZTRs #18  
Surplus Center
$229.00 each . I was going to order a set of these units from this store until I notice the plastic fan on top of my right side had most of the fins broken off and let it get hot.Took about 30 minutes of mowing before it quit moving on that side. I had to remove the drive unit , not as bad as it sounded. The oil I drained out looked like a milk shake and I am sure it was foaming and impossible to compress as oil in the pump , It called for 1 3/4 quart 20 / 50 motor oil, I put a socket in a drill and spun the pulley for a while and cycle the forwards and reverse and did get it all in. Do not confuse the vent hole for the fill hole, can not get much to go in. The fill hole is ruffly 1 inch back from the vent.The plastic fan was $12, That was last spring and all has been well. The mower is a Troy Built RZT50 with the EZT .