got chipmunks ???

/ got chipmunks ??? #1  

nickc

Silver Member
Tractor
john deere 2305
So for the first time since I started gardening I have nice tomatoes, like the size of grapefruit. Or so I did. I've managed to keep the deer & rabbits out. Yesterday I was all set to pick my first of the season Brandywine.... Gone & the culprits were still there. How is it possible to keep chipmunks out ? any suggestions will be tried. Thanks -Nick

/ got chipmunks ??? #2  
In Wisconsin we had some dumb chippies, and had the same problem.

I took 3-5gallon buckets of water, 3/4 full. I spaced them among the tomatoes.

Make a little ramp to the top of the buckets using an old 2x4 or tree branch. Then I throw a couple big handfuls of the cheapest bulk sunflower seeds in the bucket and on the ramp and around the base of the ramp. The chippies will climb the ramp and jump in the bucket and can't get out. You will have to replace the seeds every 3 days or so and scoop out the chipmunks and mice. This cleared out the mice and chipmunk population in our country wooded lot.

I did the same thing by my wood shed where I saw mice activity. I caught 8 in one bucket at the beginning. Then they thinned out.

/ got chipmunks ??? #3  
Back when I worked building houses, we had a job putting a basement under a 30 yr old house. They had insulated the floors well and nailed 1/4" plywood over it. The chipmunks had striped it out and there was not enough left to fill your hat. Cute little RATS. I would wage war on them by any and all means before they destroy more than just your tomatoes.

/ got chipmunks ??? #4  
How is it possible to keep chipmunks out ? any suggestions will be tried. Thanks -Nick

We had same problem. Put out 3 garden balloons and problem was solved.

Last edited:
   / got chipmunks ??? #6  
free target practice, or use rat traps

/ got chipmunks ??? #8  
Just sit outside with a 22 lr and have fun shooting - that's more fun to do it that way remember there fast!.

/ got chipmunks ???
So far I've gotten 4 with the 5 gallon bucket method. I agree target practice would work well but here in Massachusetts you'll get prosecuted for shooting a pellet gun. A couple of weeks ago a guy not far from me shot a woodchuck & swAt showed up