New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #1  

walker450

Platinum Member
Tractor
M5040, BX25D, F2880, ZD1211, GR2120
I am thinking about buying one of these (we call all string trimmers "weed-eaters" around here):

DCST990H1_1_500X500.jpg

This would compliment my Stihl FS 130. It is great but a little cumbersome for quickly trimming around the house. Lowes is having a special right now where if you buy the trimmer for $299 (comes with a battery and charger), you get a mail-in-rebate for a free extra battery.

Shop Cordless Electric String Trimmers at Lowes.com

Amazon.com: DEWALT DCST990H1 Max XR String Trimmer, 40-volt: Patio, Lawn & Garden

DCST990H1 40V MAX* Lithium Ion XR Brushless 15

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #2  
I've no experience with them, but if my 10 year old Stihl FS 55 ever dies I intend to buy a battery powered trimmer and that one sounds like what I'd want. Of course, my old Stihl may outlive me.

And yep, I reckon Weedeater was the brand of the first ones and I've had corded electric Weedeaters many years ago. Sometimes a brand name goes generic? Like Kleenex for facial tissue, Weedeater for string trimmers, and some others. To my Mother, all motorhomes were Winnebagos.:laughing:

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #3  
Being in the lawn care business, I'm interested in these also. Here is a link to a thread in my lawn care forum with a recent and ongoing review of this equipment. New tools

For a little background, the guy who started the thread (Marcsmith) is the groundskeeper at Georgetown University in Washington DC, so he has lots of experience with this type of equipment.

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #4  
Looks like a cordless trimmer is something I eventually want to have too. And maybe a chainsaw unit.

We have several 40V pieces of tree trimming equipment at the orchard where I work...Oregon brand. There are quite a few manufactures of cordless outdoor equipment on the market now. Will be good to know which units will be worthy and what the best features are, line size etc,

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #5  
I stopped by Lowe's today to look around. Of course they had a display with the DeWalt 40v string trimmer, hedge shears, and leaf blower; all of which use the same 40v battery and each of which costs the same; $299.

Then right close to that display was another one of the same 3 items, but Kobalt brand with each one priced at $149.

Can someone explain why the DeWalt is worth twice as much as the Kobalt?

Incidentally, they also had an 80v model string trimmer by kobalt. I didn't know any of the manufacturers had gone that high in voltage.

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #6  
Sometimes a brand name goes generic? Like Kleenex for facial tissue, Weedeater for string trimmers, and some others.

Unless it is a lown mower Weebeater. :)

weebeater.jpg

Bruce

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #7  
Be sure to look at what other tools use the same battery! I bought a "Core" CGT400 trimmer a couple years ago. Two batteries will last an hour or more.

This year, I bought an Oregon 40V, 14" chainsaw w/2, 4ah batteries to use thinning out up to 4" trees in the timber. The two batteries will last a couple hours of intermittent cutting. If I'd known when I bought the Core trimmer that I'd want any other battery powered outdoor tools, i'd have gone with the Oregon in the first place, saving on having as many batteries!

Look at ah (amp hour), besides just voltage!

Also, check around for prices, I found a wide range on the Oregon saw!

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer
I've no experience with them, but if my 10 year old Stihl FS 55:

I own a FS 55... a few weeks after buying my FS 130, my brother borrowed my 55. That was in 2008, and he is still borrowing it!! :laughing:

CompleteLawnCare: Thanks for the link! I will be following that thread.

Bird: I have no idea why the huge price difference. I suspect a lot of it is just for the Dewalt name.

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #10  
Keeping an eye on this one. I need a new trimmer and I'm tired of what this gas and alcohol mix does to small 2 stroke engines. Battery may be the way to go.