John Deere S240 ???

/ John Deere S240 ??? #1  

Lil Ru

Tractor
Husqvarna
Thinking about getting a new lawn tractor. I have a Husqvarna 2246LS that has been a lot of trouble. I bought it from a dealer because I didn't want the Big Box version, I asked for a step above that, and paid more for it. But it didn't work out like I had planed. Anyway, I'm looking around for a new one. I like the John Deere D130 but didn't want to get into the same boat I was in before (Big Box product). So I was looking at the John Deere S240. From what I can gather it has a Kawasaki engine, k46 transmission and that's about the only difference in the S240 and the D130. I am I right about that? It's about $600 difference in price. Is the S240 $600 better than the
D130? I know, everyone's going to say move up to the X300. That may be what I do, but that's really pushing my budget. I also thought about the Toro SW4200, but haven't heard much in the way of reviews. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks,
Lil Ru

/ John Deere S240 ??? #3  
I think you do have to move up to an X300 to get something better than box store quality.

/ John Deere S240 ???
I think you do have to move up to an X300 to get something better than box store quality.

Thanks folks for all the input, that Tractor Data link has a ton of info. I'm not sure moving up to an X300 would help. The X300 and S240 both have Kawasaki engines, K46 tranny, 42" 13ga deck. I'm not sure just what the X300 brings to the party. But then again all I know is what I read, I think I'm going to take a trip down to the local Deere store this afternoon and ask some questions.

/ John Deere S240 ??? #5  
S240 is better than box store 100 series tractors; in fact it can only be purchased from dealers, it has better engine, tires, transmission, deck and seat. It is priced mid-way between a D130 and X300. The s240 is however built on D100 series frame while the X300 is entry level tractor into select series tractor and its heavier duty frame and construction

/ John Deere S240 ??? #6  
I found a short review of the tractor at this link that I thought was helpful and confirmed what Topcat said:

2015 John Deere S240 Sport Review

More specifically on the better deck per the review:

"The 42” Edge mowing deck is much improved over the 100 series, with heavier hanger attachment points, premium spindles, large anti-scalp wheels, updated idler bearings, and spindle sleeves. Stamped in one piece from 13-gauge steel, the deck features a rolled edge with bottom support below the discharge opening that adds rigidity. A dual-stage E-coat and powder paint provide extra protection from rust. Blades are of a new design with a StarLock pattern which cannot slip and helps maintain correct bolt torque".

Also, it has better quality tires, higher amp rating on the alternator, ball bearings in the front wheels instead of bushings.

Hope that helps!!! FYI - I am leaning toward this model for my first tractor...

/ John Deere S240 ??? #7  
I found a short review of the tractor at this link that I thought was helpful and confirmed what Topcat said:

2015 John Deere S240 Sport Review

More specifically on the better deck per the review:

"The 42” Edge mowing deck is much improved over the 100 series, with heavier hanger attachment points, premium spindles, large anti-scalp wheels, updated idler bearings, and spindle sleeves. Stamped in one piece from 13-gauge steel, the deck features a rolled edge with bottom support below the discharge opening that adds rigidity. A dual-stage E-coat and powder paint provide extra protection from rust. Blades are of a new design with a StarLock pattern which cannot slip and helps maintain correct bolt torque".

Also, it has better quality tires, higher amp rating on the alternator, ball bearings in the front wheels instead of bushings.

Hope that helps!!! FYI - I am leaning toward this model for my first tractor...

Also has a better transaxle, the same seat as X300 and I think most importantly a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty vs the 2 years for D 100 series ..I like the looks of the hood also