I need a new lawn mower - which one?

/ I need a new lawn mower - which one? #1  

mbu

Silver Member
Tractor
I need to get a new lawn mower. The old one (engine just seized up) was a John Deere 2-stroke that I purchased new in 1989.

My lawn is on a side hill so a 4-stroke engine usually burns out in short order due to lack of oil. Is there a good lawn mower on the market that will stand up to the side hills? I need a self propelled walk behind. As I understand, 2-stroke lawn mowers aren't available in the U.S. anymore.

Thanks for any advice or mower recommendations you may have for me...

/ I need a new lawn mower - which one? #2  
I got a walk behind self powered 21 " Honda and really like it. Starts on the first pull, has plenty of power, gives a real nice cut, and sips gas. It also has a gas shut off valve which is real nice feature for storing the mower in the winter since gas in the fuel lines and carb foul up and break down much sooner than the tank.

I had a 1992 walk behind Toro that finally gave up the ghost about a month ago and needed a replacement. The Toro was tough as nail and noisy as ****, but it was dam near bullet proof except for the fact that the 2-cycle vibrated so much that it was constantly loosing parts and bolts.

You can also get service kits for the Honda that give you everything you need to do a basic service on it. They also have a nice 22" model. The one I got is a basic no frills single speed which seemed fast at first and then a little slow once I got used to it. The also have speed control models that are pricier.

I am impressed with the Honda's quality, ease of use, and lack of vibration compared to my old Toro, but then I have not gotten a new mower for 23 years.

Last edited:
   / I need a new lawn mower - which one? #3  
Have you thought about a battery-powered mower?

Steve

/ I need a new lawn mower - which one? #4  
I had an old Murray self propelled. The propelling wheels are the front and it has the large wheels on the rear. I then came across a beautiful Honda and it has the drive wheels on the rear and the front and rear are the same..would estimate 6 inches. I noticed after using the Honda I was worn out because of a number of turns. I could tilt the Murray up on its rear wheels to turn or change direction without having to fight the selfpropelled pulling forward. I gave the Honda to a daughter who has a lot of strait cuts and I kept my old one for direction and ease of use.
worth considering where the drive wheels are..front or back and if the rear wheels are larger than the front ones. It made a deference for me.

/ I need a new lawn mower - which one? #5  
Our latest mower is a 40v Kobalt, very powerful and lightweight for maneuvering. I got the push type, but B&D makes a self-propelled one but not high volts. I'd only get the 40-56v ones.

Mower before this was a Honda walk behind, electric start, self-propelled. Think it's 21". Still have it. Just didn't have the maneuverability in tight spots. Only failed to start once with my wife. Put some Sea Foam into the tank and fixed that.

Neighbor just bought a 30" self-propelled Toro that he does his trails with, replacing his Simplicity tractor.

I, too, lament the passing of 2 cycle mowers. My favorite was a 2 cycle self-propelled Lawnbody. Differential locked up. Donated it to Habitat.

Ralph

/ I need a new lawn mower - which one? #6  
I need to get a new lawn mower. The old one (engine just seized up) was a John Deere 2-stroke that I purchased new in 1989.

My lawn is on a side hill so a 4-stroke engine usually burns out in short order due to lack of oil. Is there a good lawn mower on the market that will stand up to the side hills? I need a self propelled walk behind. As I understand, 2-stroke lawn mowers aren't available in the U.S. anymore.

Thanks for any advice or mower recommendations you may have for me...

If you have not made the purchase already- you need a mower engine with a pressurised
oil lubrication system. A larger walk behind with a 42-48 inch and Kohler engine cut is
what you will need and may end up.