White

/ White #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
Anyone own a White? I was wondering what others experiences with them were like. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ White #2  
I never owned a White, but several years ago, I used one several days; I was told it was a 50hp tractor and I first pulled a hay rake a few days, then used it with 3-point forks to load the hay bales onto trailers. Very nice little tractor, I thought. I haven't really checked into it, but was told that White bought Oliver and that lots of the parts are interchangeable. Does anyone know whether that's right?

/ White
I am not sure when exactly, I am guessing early seventies, but White bought Cockshut and Oliver and MM. Eventually, AGCO bought White's agricultural line and MTD got the lawn & garden division. MTD did a good job of preserving Cub Cadet as a premium line of tractors, I am wondering if they did the same for White?

/ White #4  
I know in just the last few years there was a dealer just east of Waco that sold new White tractors, along with Masseys, but don't know whether AGCO still has the White name on any of theirs or not.

/ White #5  
I looked at some White lawn tractors at the local small engine dealer here in Waco when I was looking to buy a lawn tractor. They were billed basically as a poor man's Cub to me by the salesman. Upon inspection, it looked like the deck was similarly made to the low end Cubs. The steering assembly was held in place by the plastic dash as in the low-end Cubs, no other support was used.

All in all, pretty much equal in function to the $1999 cub, but about $200 less because of some missing minor niceties. One thing I remember was a very small gas tank (1 gallon or so) situated under the hood. I think they are positioning the White brand to hit that market between the $1k and $2k buyers, as did JD with their versions commonly sold at HD.

The lack of steering support and the relatively light connection between deck and frame were the biggest thing that turned me off of the Cub and White. Ratcheting up the price to the $3k range in the 2xxx series of Cubs opened the door to other competition, including some other JD's and what I ultimately bought, a Kubota 1670.

Not to say anything bad about the White or the Cub 1xxx series. If my property wasn't so hilly and bumpy and I didn't weigh to much for my height, they would likely have done an admirable job.

/ White #6  
I had a White lawn tractor a few years ago and didn't much care for the quality of the cut. Turbo deck I believe is what they called it. I have a White snowblower that is nine years old and that has been great.

/ White #7  
I just purchased a White 6065 tractor - a nice 4 wheel drive unit with a cab. In Ontario there is no sales tax on tractors with more than 60hp. When we did the math, it was better to get the bigger tractor as the cost was basically the same as buying a smaller, more mainstream unit after adding in the 13% tax.

The White tractor brand was retired around the end of the '90s or early 2000s after Agco bought them. The White brand continues on other farm equipment, but not on tractors.

Our tractor was built in 1994 and is in excellent condition. The dealer installed a new Agco engine so while the clock indicates 3,000 hours of use, the engine has virtually none.

So far we are happy with it - bushhogging the fields is the main job at the moment, but will be putting in post holes and pulling fences with it shortly. Not to mention some dirt moving and in the winter snow moving.

The next challenge is to find a "portable" shelter for summer storage. The barn is ok for the winter but getting it in and out in the summer is not convenient.

We are looking at Shelter Logic units - they have one that seems tall enough to accommodate the cab. The price I am seeing is about $500 US - so would be much more in Canada. It has to be at least 100 inches tall - so if anyone has other suggestions it would be appreciated.

Cheers.