JD vs. CC vs. Kubota

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #1  

TomBrax

I'm in the market for a garden tractor and had my heart set on the GT245 from JD. now I'm looking online and hearing things like you get more tractor for your money if you buy CC, or buy kubota because they rock...

anyhow, I've got about an acre to mow but it is steeply sloped. I would like to use the tractor to tow some downed trees that I have on the back of my property up the slope so that I can log it and split it for fire wood. My lot is a little over 4 acres, so about 3 acres is wooded. So you can imagine how many downed trees I have.

anyhow, the GT245 with a 54" deck runs about $4800 at a dealer by me.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Tom

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #2  
What type of slope?

And how much traction do you need to pull out the downed trees?

I have a pretty steep slope and use a Cub with wheel weights and tire chains. I'm upgrading to a Steiner or more likely a Ventrac. I got the Cub because the John Deeres would not climb the slope (the smaller JD units are belt drive) without the engines quitting. The largest Deere units are shaft drive and probably would climb right along side the Cub, but why go up to a 4xx JD when that size was not needed?

I'm going to admit to being pretty partial to the Cubs because I've seen them work on my lot when no other tractor tested would climb my hills. I'm in the process of negotiating for a 4wd articulated slope tractor but they are seriously more expensive than Cubs, JD or Kubota. I don't know anyone with a Kubota garden tractor.

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #3  
The JD is a fine machine but I think something like a 4x4 X series would be better for towing but these are garden tractors and if the trees are big it may not be safe to be pulling them in case of rearward upset. If you want to spend like 11 grand a subcompact deere 2210 would probably work pretty good depending on the size of the tree.

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #4  
i have been checking out the cc gts and they seem to e very nice for the $$, don't know what kind of trees u think you might be pulling with one, but i imagine u won;t pull or drag very large ones, u usually run out of traction.

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #5  
Tom what ever you do get a shaft drive. The Cadet is an exellent value for the money. The Kubota I've never worked like I have the Cadets but maybe you need a BX1500 Kubota.

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #6  
Have you checked out Simplicity? They offer rear differential lock for increased traction on hills in their garden tractors.

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #7  
Bob, perhaps you need to bulk up a lil bit!

My JD LX288 18hp gas 2wd with 4 foot deck takes me up a 12 foot run of 29 degrees where "me" = 260lbs of sweet honey love" ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

She's working while she does it, but she never stalls and makes the all the trips I ask.

I cannot find fault with JDs LX line of mowers. I pull, push and otherwise ask too much from her but she has always complied.

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #8  
I may need to bulk up some, I'm only about 185 pounds, but my hill is closer to 40' vertical rise, slope ranges from 15 to 30 degrees depending on the spot you are attempting to stand on.

Shaft drive is certainly more efficient to put power to the wheels when you are lugging anything, and the smaller Deere units are belt drive. Larger Deere garden tractors are Shaft Drive, but they are priced as high as some CUTs.

For the power, quality and the price, I tend to favor the Cubs because I've seen them work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Deeres, my friend has one that is pushing 20 years old and is a bit tired, but it still works. However he has flat ground.

In my neighborhood, I don't think we have a Deere lawn tractor left. There are two Deere CUTs I see being used, but everyone who had a Deere lawn tractor got rid of it that I know of. Maybe it is because of the hills we have? I do know that one guy simply gave up on mowing the slopes and switched to a ZTR mower and just mows the upper portion of his lot (he has about 4 acres and less than one is below the slope so he just let that part go native).

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #9  
Bob ... shaft drive? are you talking about the drive mechanism for the deck?

Yes, my deck is belt driven, but I look at the belt like a giant sheer pin. The belt will fail long before anything on the deck or the tractor and is economical to replace.

Then again, I might feel differently if I had your topo to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD vs. CC vs. Kubota #10  
Tom,
I have a GT275 and it has been a work horse. I have abused that thing and it still runs like a dream. I have pulled trees around with it, I have used it to drag a float for our riding arena, cut the lawn, knock down the pasture grass before it dries, pulled the boat/trailer around, turned rocks into gravel with the blades (had to replace the blades after that one) and generally used it. I have never had a problem with hills and thats most of what we have at our place.

Having said that I finally realized that I was using up a really great lawn tractor and broke down and bought a bigger tractor.

I have friends that have the Kubotas and its a nice tractor but I have found that their deck is not as durable as it is with the Deere.

Look for a good dealer who will help you out after the purchase....it makes a difference. I would not hesitate to buy another Deere and think you would be really happy with the GT 245.

Be safe and have fun.
Mark