Power King

/ Power King #1  

chuggin

Tractor
Power King 1416
What ever happened to Power King garden tractors!!!

/ Power King #2  
I'm copying this from another forum where a dealer in Ohio needed to fix a customer's Power King and relates his experience:

You of course know that they haven't built or sold any Power King tractors for about 3 or 4 years now. The company is still in business however. They are still making and selling parts for these tractors. So if you need anything that you can't easily fabricate yourself, like a clutch plate, or brake shoes etc. many of their oldtime dealers that are still around can supply new parts to you.

I don't know if they sell any new parts over the internet or not.

We had to put a clutch and pressure plate, and throw out bearing in a 1999, 20 hp Power King tractor last summer. It was a trade in tractor, and we resold it to a young couple that really had a tough time being able to come up with the money. They really wanted the tractor and bit hard on the bullet and got it.

This tractor almost looked showroom new, and there was a 60 inch belly mower, and a snow blade, chains and weights with it. Sold it all to them for $3500. It ran like it was still new, and we thought it was in perfect condition.

They got it home and mowed twice. Eleven days after they got it the clutch did a total wipe out !!! I mean it bent and mutilated everything when it let loose.

We got it back in, and split the chassis. After a couple of phone calls to old PK dealers was when we found out - the company is not totally gone !!! They are still making new parts ! This old boy ordered them in for us, and about 10 days later we recieved a whole NEW clutch system.

Even though it had not been sold with any sort of warranty at all - these two kids thought they were buying a near new condition tractor - and they couldn't torque out another 25 cents, so we just ate it.

So they are happy - the old PK dealer is happy - even Power King is happy.

/ Power King #3  
They were popular in my part of the country (north NJ and northeast PA) and one of my favorite dealers who's bone yard I like to poke around in was a Power King dealer. He probably still has parts in inventory. They pop up on Ebay and in "real" auctions. Last year there was a "new old stock" tractor for sale on ebay. It sold for big $$$. I don't know why they don't still make tractors, as they were an excellent machine, comparable to some of the smaller CUTs at an affordable price. Perhaps they were ahead of their time, or the lack of a hydrostatic tranny... I wish I knew the reason too.

/ Power King
I currently have a 1981 model Power King that my Uncle bought new. It has been a great garden tractor. I also owned a Economy Jim Dandey which was a 1948 model which I ran until I was given my Uncle's Power King. Both have been excellent garden tractors and I am still able to get parts from a local dealer. I had heard Power King was tied up in a bankruptcy.

/ Power King #5  
I have two Snapper UGT's, they were made by Power-King, same machines just different decals. They are very large garden tractors, around the size of JD 650, 4100. Both of mine are hydrostatic drive.
I'm interested to find out more about these tractors. My models are 1997 2060H and 1999 2260H. Thanks.
p.s. I've been reading TBN for awhile but this is my 1st post.

/ Power King #7  
Thanks Bontai Joe,
I visited the yahoo group briefly, seemed like the focus was older machinery. Anybody out there have Snapper tractors like mine, or the Power King equivalent model UT620HV, 1620HV, 1618GV from the late nineties?

/ Power King #8  
hi guys i'm new to this sight but I have been reading along for a while so I thought I would sign up. Anyway I just purchased a 1996 PK 1620 from a local cub dealer, its a hydro with power steering.So far I really like it, have not had much seat time yet but it seems to have plenty of power.Just went over everything yesterday and it all seems in good shape,looks like a new one.Oh yea it has 1390 hours on it. I got to talk to the couple who traded it as they were still wrapping up their deal on anew sc2400,retired dairy farmers.He said he bought for his wife mow around the farm new in 96,he had all of the original paper work and all receipts.He even had the original bill of sale 9K:thumbsup:

/ Power King #9  
Mission Manufacturing, Powerkingtractor.com, owns Power King now. I have a PK / Snapper MGT2000H. This has been a great little tractor. Big as little tractors go.

/ Power King #10  
They were popular in my part of the country (north NJ and northeast PA) and one of my favorite dealers who's bone yard I like to poke around in was a Power King dealer. He probably still has parts in inventory. They pop up on Ebay and in "real" auctions. Last year there was a "new old stock" tractor for sale on ebay. It sold for big $$$. I don't know why they don't still make tractors, as they were an excellent machine, comparable to some of the smaller CUTs at an affordable price. Perhaps they were ahead of their time, or the lack of a hydrostatic tranny... I wish I knew the reason too.

Hi Bontai_Joe,
I'd like to hear more about the former PK dealer with the boneyard. I'm looking for a Left side engine panel. Hard to find and I don't want to Fabricate a mold and glass a new one.