Dandelion Octopus? Weird Growth After Spraying

/ Dandelion Octopus? Weird Growth After Spraying #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
What causes a dandelion to do this after spraying with Ortho Weed Be Gone? (24d?) It doesn't happen often but I have seen it on occasion over the years.
It's weird like some kind of genetic mutation.

Attachments

• DANDELION.JPG
    DANDELION.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 316
   / Dandelion Octopus? Weird Growth After Spraying #2  
Just a guess, but 2,4-D causes plants to "grow" themselves to death. Your photo may be showing that growth.

Steve

/ Dandelion Octopus? Weird Growth After Spraying #3  
Just a guess, but 2,4-D causes plants to "grow" themselves to death. Your photo may be showing that growth.

Steve
Agree. Many, many years ago, a neighbor sprayed his bitter weed infested pasture with 2-4D to kill them. They had a growth spurt up to almost waist high and then died. Bitter weeds don't normally get more than perhaps 1 foot tall at most, at least in that area. We all reached the same conclusion that they grew themselves to death somehow.

I do know that just a small amount on Okra plants will give you some really twisted up okra pods also. Leaves on plants that are drift or vapor affected but not enough to cause death will curl up in strange ways.

/ Dandelion Octopus? Weird Growth After Spraying #4  
Didn't know that about 2,4D.

I'm all for letting the weeds go. Else, there'd likely be very few flowers from the weeds for the bees to feast upon. Grass has no flowers.

Ralph

/ Dandelion Octopus? Weird Growth After Spraying #5  

Steve

I was not aware of that. Ta, I've learnt something today... and that's a good thing.

/ Dandelion Octopus? Weird Growth After Spraying #6  

Steve

You are correct. 2,4-D is a Growth Regulator. It causes some cells to rapidly grow giving the classic crook neck. Pretty easy to diagnose drift damage also.