Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof #1  

justinramani

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Hello,

A local church is trying to get rid of a bunch of old Slate that was previously used as roofing material. The pieces aren't all that thick. I am thinking that I could use them in a landscaping application. Anyone have any thoughts?

For some reason I think that slate is slippery when wet - is that true???

Here are some pics.

uploadfromtaptalk1463273969002.jpguploadfromtaptalk1463273975583.jpg

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof #2  
If they're roofing slates, they'll be too thin for walkways. I've seen them used for birdhouses, mini-chalkboards, and other craft projects.

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof #3  
People use them for oil paintings. Get to a commercial roofing supply house. They have a demand for these used shingles. People may only need to replace 10 shingles on a old roof and everything is okay. The replacements if unbroken bring good money. There is a local barn seen from I-75 that has 1885 in the middle of the roof. They were top of the line then as well as now.

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof #4  
Old slate roofing tiles would be valuable due to their rarity (supply/demand) regarding today's construction methods.

Google came up with this: Google

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof #5  
Old slate would be of use to any roofing company that does roof repairs. Slate tile come in different sizes not a one size fits all. Slate roofs and Spanish clay barrel tiles are the best because the last forever. Maybe a roofing company would make a donation to the church in exchange for the tiles. They are no more slippery than many other materials use in slope roofing today.

I suppose one could use them as edging for landscapes or perhaps a walkway with them laid in a mortar bed but would be best used for roofing.

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof
Ok - sounds like some good ideas. I never knew that slate was used for roofing.

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof #7  
I would make you an offer you couldn't refuse...if you were closer.

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof
Well - They aren't giving them away. In fact I heard that they wanted $5/tile, which I would never pay. I might give them $500 for all of them. What should I expect to pay? I was told they their are nearly 1000 tiles in all.

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof #9  
25 to 50 cents a piece. If it's thin and delimanating, it's basically worthless. I was in the slate roofing business for five years. At 5 bucks a piece you are paying more than brand new slate from the quarry.

/ Any Ideas on Use??? Old Slate Roof #10  
I'd wouldn't pay more then a hundred dollars for them, and that's only if they are in decent shape and attractive in appearance. I think they would look nice on cinder block columns used as tile with the edges cut off square. The ones I've seen on houses around here are so thick with black mold and moss that I would just through them away.