Would a yard sweeper work on this much pine straw & cones?

/ Would a yard sweeper work on this much pine straw & cones? #1  

Burtonbr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota b2620, LA364 loader.custom rear remotes, THUMB bucket grapple, 60" box blade 72" landscape rake &many other toys
Just wondering if someone that has used a lawn sweep think it would work on an area like this. I was looking at the Brinly 44" sweeper.
A lot of my rear yard is like this and I'd like to maybe keep it cleaner and get some more grass to grow.
Or do I just need to get off my butt and rake it up regularly.
TIA

/ Would a yard sweeper work on this much pine straw & cones? #2  
A sweeper won't loosen up the stuff that has settled. But if you first ran though there with a de-thatcher, then a sweeper, it should work. The pine cones could be an issue though -- I know my sweeper can't swallow them. I have a 48" Craftsman sweeper (circa 2002) that seems to be made by Brinly.

/ Would a yard sweeper work on this much pine straw & cones? #3  
Take a look at the 3-pt dethatcher from CMP Attachments. Does a good job for me raking up pine needles and is reasonably priced. Also good for scratching soil for planting grass seed.

/ Would a yard sweeper work on this much pine straw & cones?
Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be doubtful it would do a good job, I figure with some adjustments it might work for some of it but not all, I would like to get the pine cones up mostly so that mowing isn't so rough on the blades.
The de-thatcher looks cool.

/ Would a yard sweeper work on this much pine straw & cones? #5  
I have a brinley and I don't think it will pick that up all the way down to the dirt. It might pick up most of the loose dry stuff and pinecones, though. I know in the fall, it will pick up whole oak leaves very well, but if I run over the oak leaves with the mower first and then try to sweep the cut up pieces with the brinley, it won't do a very good job.

/ Would a yard sweeper work on this much pine straw & cones? #6  
Nope. Here's what you need. If they are wet, you might need several passes. I'd consider burning them in place, too. Use a leaf blower to contain a controlled burn.

Attachments

• 3017472213.jpg
    3017472213.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 230
   / Would a yard sweeper work on this much pine straw & cones? #7  
008.JPG
This what i use to gather them in piles. Then I fork them into a small trailer to distribute as paths in the garden especially. Some hand raking is required. The "Pine Needle Rake" is also good for cleaning up debris after a storm or some tree removal left overs.
Cheers,
Mike