Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower?

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #1  

sw18x

Bronze Member
Tractor
Looking
Need a reliable rider, in the 1600$ price range. I checked out some reviews on lowes and tractor supply websites, seems like cub has a leg up on quality, but what do you guys think?

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #2  
You will find most on here are not fans of big box store mowers. They are designed to hit a certain price range. How much area are you going to be mowing
What type of terrain, hilly, wet?
The main issue I hear about is transmissions and deck problems within 200 hrs or so.

I had a JD D130 from a big box store. Had it three years and 150 hrs. Got rid of it and started using my Kubota to mow.

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #3  
I wasn't impressed with Cub or Husky when I looked recently. And the base 100 series mowers from Deere aren't any better. To me the only quality machines were the Deere X300 and X500 series, and you sort of need to go mid-range on the X300 series to get the better transmission. That used to be a X320, but it's been renamed X380 for 2016. I am sorry to say anything below that seems to be a waste of money.

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower?
My primary mower is a rear finish mower, the rider will be used to cut around 8 or ten apple trees, along a couple fence lines and the house, and a small fenced in playground. These obstacles are scattered through 3 acres or so of mowed property so push mowing is getting time consuming. Total mowing with the rider will be maybe 1/2 acre. I was getting by with a kubota bx but traded up to a kubota b and a cheap riding mower will be the perfect compliment to the 72" finish mower. I was originally going to buy something used but most of these machines are garbage to begin with, they're on their last legs once they hit craigslist. Older units are more durable but hard to sort out the junk from the stuff that's been beaten on, that's my dilemna.

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #5  
I have a Husqvarna 24hp 48 in cut and run great. Only about 90 hours but its great for cutting out around fences and trees. But I use my Mahindra with a 72 in Woods PRD finish mower for the big stuff. Depends on how much grass you need to cut. Took me forever to cut all my grass with the Husky. Now it only takes about 4 hours to finish.

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #6  
I bought a new cub, 46 inch cut. I'm into my 5th season with it. No issues at all. Very happy with it.

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #7  
I have a Husqvarna 24hp 48 in cut and run great. Only about 90 hours but its great for cutting out around fences and trees.

I also have a Husqvarna 24hp - 48in cut with approx. 150 hours on it. Purchased it from Lowes several years ago, and it has been a reasonably good entry-level rider. No issues with it, and I've maintained it regularly. When it is ready to be replaced, will likely get a Deere 500 or 700 series with 4-wheel steering for closer mowing around trees and tight spaces.

Good luck on your purchase!

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #8  
We have a cub cadet Lx1050 think I got it right. Had it 8 years. No issues with engine or transmission. Mower deck over the years is a constant battle. We beat the snot out of it. About 500 hrs.
Steve

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #9  
I have a Husqvarna LGT2554 with over 300 hours on it and I used to have a Cub zero turn. I'll never own another Cub. While not the greatest mower around the Husqvarna has served me well.

/ Husqvarna or cub cadet for riding mower? #10  
Need a reliable rider, in the 1600$ price range. I checked out some reviews on lowes and tractor supply websites, seems like cub has a leg up on quality, but what do you guys think?

It is my understanding that Husqvarna is now making the Cub Cadet, Craftsman, and several other brands. Perhaps others can attest to that information, or correct me. Personally, I'm hoping that I'm wrong since Husqvarna also recently bought Dixon, which (in my mind) has never been a quality machine.

I do believe the Husqvarna quality has gone done over the last two years. Not surprising if they're trying to capture the mower market like MTD has done.