Troybuilt Pony won't start

/ Troybuilt Pony won't start #1  

BANDAMAN

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 318
Troybuilt Pony won\'t start

I borrowed my dad's 20 year old Troy built and hauled it from Iowa to Michigan to work up parts of my yard for seeding, but I can't get it to fire. It is a Pony with a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton. It has sit for about a year since my dad last used it. He is not much for maintaining things, and I am a maintenance fanatic, so i am trying to fix it up a little.

I drained the gas and oil, filled it up with fresh fuel and Sta-bil. Filled with fresh 30W oil. Installed the proper NGK plug and installed a new air filter (old one was original!!!). I also sprayed a little carb and choke cleaner down the carb throat. I have pulled and pulled and it won't even try to fire. I pulled the plug, left the plug wire on and set it on the head to check for spark, I don't see any.

I pulled the front cover and recoil off, the flywheel was rusty, so I wire brushed the rust off the flywheel and magnet, and the bottom of the coil. The wire going from the coil to behind the flywheel looks intact, but the covering is frayed. I don't have tools to pull flywheel, so I don't no if mice chewed some wires in there and I can't see. Still won't fire up.

Any suggestions before I take it to the shop for repair?

Thanks for the help!!!

/ Troybuilt Pony won't start #2  
Re: Troybuilt Pony won\'t start

Bandaman,
Probably could use a new condenser in addition to the cleanup that you've already done to the magneto. If the rust didn't clean up real good you may need to take some fine emery cloth or sandpaper to it.

Here's a link that I found with Briggs and Stratton ignition parts. Of course to change the condenser, you'll have to pull the flywheel. I've pulled quite a few with a couple of large regular-tip screwdrivers and a hammer, but you've got to be careful not to muff up the threads on the shaft or crack the block wall. Definitely easier with a flywheel puller. Probably wouldn't cost too much at a small-engine repair shop. They should have the tools to do it without damaging the shaft or the block.

Good luck with the Pony. I just bought a 16 year old Horse and used it this weekend and it ran great. It has the 8hp Kohler and they guy I bought it from seems to have taken excellent care of it. Those old TroyBilt tillers are great machines. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Troybuilt Pony won't start

Thanks, I agree, I really need to get that flywheel off and get a look behind there. Would like to replace all the electrical parts due to age and slight neglect. It was always stored in the shed, but it was never properly put away each season. I might run it up to the local small engine guy to pull the flywheel, and maybe pick his brain a little without dropping off the old girl and leaving a blank check!

/ Troybuilt Pony won't start #4  

There are a few ways to get the flywheel off without a puller. You can loosen the nut & run it out till it is even with the shaft. Take a prybar behind the flywheel, apply a little pressure & give the end of the shaft a rap. The shaft is tapered so once it comes loose it will come right off. Double nut would even be better & running it out to the end of the shaft is so that you don't mess up the threads. Another way is with an air chisel. Put the point bit in & stick it on the end of the shaft. There should be a dimple there, if not, make one. Then while applying pressure to the back of the flywheel, run the air chisel. The vibration should get it loose. Just remember when you tighten the flywheel nut to get it real tight or it will shear the key. Also if this is an older Tecumseh engine, the timing procedure is a little complicated. More so than just setting the points at the high point to .020. That is where the little talk with the mechanic might help. If he is nice, he may show you the book that outlines the timing procedure. If it were me, I would take a look at the points & if they weren't pitted, just run a piece of sand paper or an ignition file over them while they are in place & see if that gets you spark. If not, then more work will need to be done.

/ Troybuilt Pony won't start

Ok, I decided to take another stab at getting this thing running. I had a friend help out with an extra set of hands and eyes and checked again for spark in the garage where there wasn't so much sunlight. This time, the spark looked good. I poured a small amount of gas down the throat of the carb and gave it a couple of yanks. It fired right up and purred like a kitten. Very impressive for over 20 years old and poorly maintained! The old Troy Builts are quality machines.

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I learned again to keep it simple!

/ Troybuilt Pony won't start #6  

Glad to hear you got it running. That is a whole different ballgame when you have spark. We wouldn't have gone through the whole other explanation on the flywheel, points etc. if we knew you had spark. The other maintenance issues, oil change, plug, air filter all should still apply. Good tilling to you.