Mower recommendations for 6 acres.

/ Mower recommendations for 6 acres. #1  

Schneeky

Silver Member
Hey fellas. We've got both houses under contract and gettin ready to do the deal on the new place (Sat image link below). The cat that bought this house wanted the old Gravely 250Z in on the deal so Momma sez I can get a new mower. The new house sits on the property high spot and there's a very subtle incline away from it in all directions. Prolly gonna have some "natural" areas and a decent size garden in the bottom so not really mowing the whole 6 acres. The Gravely was a great mower but it sure would rattler my teeth on this bumpy yard. So the ride is high on my priority list with the new rig.

Been reading posts here this morning and thinkin ~60" will cover me. I don't think there's any tight spots and I do this 3.5 acres in a coupla hours even havin to go slow for the bumps with the 50". Seems there's a good bit of favor to the Ferris line WRT ride and quality. Not sure I have a local dealer, tho'. We do have Gravely, Toro, Hustler, SCAG, Dixie Chopper and Bad Boy dealers that I know of.

I was also wondering if there's an option for a more "multi use" type mower setup. But that's really kinda secondary. Not really interested in putting a belly or finish mower on the Mahindra. Just don't care to hour it up like that. Budget is ~$6k-ish tops. Prefer serviceable hydro units, manual adjust decks, and grease-able spindles would be nice, but not required.
Thanks for any useful input! :cool: d:^) Jake..

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&cp=34.629555~-77.914397&lvl=19&style=h&osid=ee8cd048-ab21-4290-af58-f9df7121803a&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

/ Mower recommendations for 6 acres. #2  
Grasshopper front deck; fully serviceable, manual or electric adjust deck and flip up to change blades, good ride on bumpy ground.

/ Mower recommendations for 6 acres.
Grasshopper front deck; fully serviceable, manual or electric adjust deck and flip up to change blades, good ride on bumpy ground.
I hadn't really thought about those too much till I saw them, and a coupla other brands, mentioned in a few posts this morning. With the Bahia grass being so prolific down here on the coast I hafta sharpen/change blades every coupla few mowings. And that easy swap option would be nice. That style mower was kinda what I had in mind when I asked about a multi function unit. I dunno about those Raven rigs I saw. Kinda wonky. Coupla questions.
Does the deck easily detach from the main unit?
Is there anything can be done with the main unit if it is?
Seems I remember somebody on here had a front end mower and did other stuff with it. But I might be geezin'. :rolleyes: d:^) Jake..

/ Mower recommendations for 6 acres. #4  
I was also looking into getting a new mower. A ZTR seemed to be the way to go. After my research I was left with the impression that Ferris gives the best ride. They have the suspension system in the frame. You can also add a suspension seat like the other mowers if you want it to feel like your grandmas cadillac.

I don't have all the other brads around me.... but I have heard good things about the build quality of scag.

Good luck on your hunt. Interested to see what you come up with.

Here is another good place to start looking at and asking questions. It's just about lawnmowers

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com

Cheers

/ Mower recommendations for 6 acres. #5  
Yes the deck comes away from the powered unit pretty easily and Grasshopper makes other attachments to mount up front. I have a blade for mine and it is very handy for snow as long as it isn't real deep or really wet. I have done 6" of really wet snow with it and it does well, it works well enough that I would rather use the Grasshopper vs. my 50 hp tractor and my driveway is 1/4 mile long. It also grades loose dirt and gravel fairly well.

Grasshopper makes other stuff but I would say it is more conducive to a commercial venue vs a homeowner, mainly because it is expensive. But nothing stops you from fabricating your own stuff.
I would recommend against using the powered unit for much without something up front, the machine could tip forward real easily without anything in the front. I have a trailer hitch on mine that serves more as a point to retrieve the machine when it is stuck but I have a little yard cart I pull behind it some.

/ Mower recommendations for 6 acres. #6  
I have Ferris with full suspension and really really like it. I don't know much about the Grasshopper with the flip up deck but what little I do like it also.

One thing want you to think about and no idea how steep your yard will be but if very steep when it is wet a ztr is not the best machine on it. As the front wheels do no steering if you cut sideways you are always pushing it up the hill as the front end weight will want to travel down hill but the big issue is on wet slopes as you use the two rear wheels to drive it and steer it that means when turning you have affected the pulling of both rear wheels. We have I will guess a 15 to 20 degree grade that can get a lot of rain down it, I can cut down it and then not be able to run back up. kt

I'll check into those and see if I can demo one somewhere. The easy under deck access could be a really good thing. But after a few years with the current mower, this fat old man is ready for a comfy ride. :) I found a local Grasshopper dealer. As usual, no new prices listed. But the used GH's with >1000hrs were priced where the new zero turns I'm considering are. Ouch. :eek:

Gogo- Checking the link. Thanks.. d:^) Jake..

/ Mower recommendations for 6 acres. #8  
I bought mine with 400 something hours for $5600 I think, it was 5 years old.
Having had it for 5 years now I've had to replace a few items but if you are a decent at turning a wrench it isn't too bad. I also tend to rebuild things before they go bad, this winter I am going to go through everything in the deck and replace all the bearings just to be ahead of the game.

I have Ferris with full suspension and really really like it. I don't know much about the Grasshopper with the flip up deck but what little I do like it also. One thing want you to think about and no idea how steep your yard will be but if very steep... kt
Thanks for the comments. We're coastal here. Hills are pretty much non-existent. I've been in the flat so long my ears start popping in Rockingham! :eek: d:^) Jake..

The back yard of the new place.
ca5b8e5a00f8ee8c91c9fa479ac0f2del-m33xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

I bought mine with 400 something hours for $5600 I think, it was 5 years old.
Having had it for 5 years now I've had to replace a few items but if you are a decent at turning a wrench it isn't too bad. I also tend to rebuild things before they go bad, this winter I am going to go through everything in the deck and replace all the bearings just to be ahead of the game.
What model is it? Linked below is the first thing I saw searching for a local dealer. d:^) Jake..
White Tractor Company, Inc. - Burgaw, NC - Used Inventory.