Help with carburetor.

/ Help with carburetor. #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I've got a Briggs&Stratton Vanguard that I can't get to run without assistance from spraying starting fluid in the intake. There's a electronic thing with a plunger on the end that I suspect is the problem. I've been told it's ok to remove the plug cut off the plunger and reinstall the plug. Is this correct?

image-187611394.jpg

/ Help with carburetor. #2  
Looks like a fuel stop solenoid, Usually 12 volts pulls the plunger back allowing fuel flow.
A bad solenoid or lack of the +12 volts could cause a no start due to lack of fuel.
Have seen the plunger mod done on defective Kiehn Carbs solenoids on Honda engines in the past, just to get the engine to run until a new solenoid could be sourced.
I would check to see if voltage is being supplied in a key on mode, before removing the plunger end. Usually you can hear the solenoid plunger retract when power is supplied ( a clicking sound) and it can be checked off the carb by grounding the solenoid body and applying 12 volts to the wire. If that is not a fuel solenoid then please disregard my post.

/ Help with carburetor.
It's definitely a fuel shutoff. If trying to figure out if it's important. I was told it's only a safety precaution and not necessary for operation.

/ Help with carburetor. #4  
Thinking emissions purposes, may prevent run on and or backfire after shut down..The (safety) question ??
they managed to make carbs work without them for decades.
Thinking my Briggs ic twin powered riding mower could benefit from a fuel cut off solenoid, since it really just cuts the main jet fuel flow.
That thing goes off like a 12 gauge shot gun every time i shut it off after mowing on a warm day:D
Then again maybe not... no way to modify the main jet circuit and just checked for a Vanguard one on ebay $76 ouch.
You could try it after the mod ( especially if its already bad)
My guess is the only difference may be a (possible) back fire on shut down.

Last edited:
   / Help with carburetor.
My Kohler motors backfired like a 12 gauge if immediately shut down. The problem could be significantly reduced or completely eliminated if you let it run for about a minute at idle. Another solution that worked was to slow the engine to idle and hit the go pedal and stall the motor. My favorite solution was to get a diesel. That never backfires. As for the motor in question. It's on a Cub Cadet lawn mower I got for free, and the plan is to use it to power a wood splitter.

image-2973602262.jpg

/ Help with carburetor. #6  
As for the motor in question. It's on a Cub Cadet lawn mower I got for free,

Oh- in that case I know what would do :D

/ Help with carburetor.
   / Help with carburetor. #8  
We had a motor like that... the quick and easy solution was to shut it off under a load... no more run on or backfire.

/ Help with carburetor. #9  
What's that? Cut the plunger off?

Yep, especially if the solenoid does not retract, when grounding it's body and applying +12 volts to the wire. (being safety minded of course) Connecting wires with gas on the hands is dangerous ( something i got a first (hand) education with at 10

That engine will be a great driver for the wood splitter- electric start and available 12 volts for lighting or other uses,

As for the back firing, I always let the engine idle down and then (sometimes) start re engaging the mower deck while turning the key and it usually still backfires,
The wife has (claimed) that mower,since it has a really smooth hydrostat and also rides better than the Gilson due to larger tires.
When she's done- it may not get idled down before that key gets turned
and BOOM

Last edited:
   / Help with carburetor.
I got the motor to run and discovered another problem. Oil pours out around the output shaft. I'm hoping it's a cheap and relatively easy fix. I wired a jumper wire from the solenoid to the battery and could hear it click. I'm currently running it like that. This mower has electrical issues so hopefully once I get that sorted out it'll fix the solenoid.