Generac engines on lawn mower

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
My neighbor just got a nice Dixie Chopper model 2750 with 560 hours on it for a bargain price(maybe?) of $800. I was working to level the deck which was about 1.5" lower on one side when I noticed that the engine was a Generac. I don't think I ever saw a Generac motor on any mower before. All the ones I have ever encountered are Kohler, Briggs & Stratton and Kawasaki.
Anyone have experience with Generac engines as far as life expectancy? I have heard that some of the Generac generators may have some longevity issues and use a lot of oil.

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #2  
I have a Generac Guardian stand-by generator, for the house. Thus far, been great. It's been installed since 2008 and I've lived here since 2013.

I also have a Generac pressure washer, but it's only a year and a half old. Thus far, no issues.

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #3  
My neighbor just got a nice Dixie Chopper model 2750 with 560 hours on it for a bargain price(maybe?) of $800. I was working to level the deck which was about 1.5" lower on one side when I noticed that the engine was a Generac. I don't think I ever saw a Generac motor on any mower before. All the ones I have ever encountered are Kohler, Briggs & Stratton and Kawasaki.
Anyone have experience with Generac engines as far as life expectancy? I have heard that some of the Generac generators may have some longevity issues and use a lot of oil.
I own a 2007 dixie chopper classic xg2703 and it has around 600 hours and I will say it has plenty of power and is a great engine but I've had a few issues the carburetor is right above the exhaust and that creates 2 problems if it dies while your mowing you have to work around the hot exhaust and 2 when the float sticks it over flows on the hot exhaust and I haven't had anything bad happen yet but it could and just most recent problem the governor assist linkage plate bushing broke on it so I had to fix that but thats my opinion but I still use it

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #4  
Generac dosnt just use Kohler or briggs engines?

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #5  
They make some of their own engines. Back in the day I had one that was used and abused and it was trouble free. I'm not sure if their current lineup is as good. Probably are

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #6  
I have a Generac 17.5KW generator for my house it is about 20 years old and works like a charm. With hurricanes and storms I have about 6 months of run time on it. I had to run it 3 times for 24 hours a day for a month at a time in the past. Just change oil & filter clean spark plugs & new air filters and she keep on running. Oh a new battery from time to time to.

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #7  
I've seen Generac use Briggs myself and worked on many of their own engines. Had a snafu on getting parts , even finding the correct look up lately.

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #8  
I'm pretty sure generac engines are briggs designed and built in China.
Ya i know they say Wisconsin or some bs but i don't buy that.

/ Generac engines on lawn mower #9  
Seems like a lot of these engines produced today are just Honda clones. I wonder if the Generac engines are just assembled in Wisconsin with parts from China. I was disappointed to find out that Briggs small engines are just Chinese throw away engines. If you want to know how good they are look up parts. If you can only buy a limited number of parts for the engine and some of the parts are an assembly chances are it's from China. Of course I have a US made Kohler Courage engine that's junk (that's where my idea of getting partially assembled engines from China and finishing them in the US came about).