Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
Mower is one of the basic orange Husqvaranas that you see everywhere. My 3 year took off the gas cap and looks like he put a couple handfuls of dirt in there. Will I need to take the mower apart to get the tank off or could I just buy a bunch of fuel filters and swap them out a lot quicker than normal?

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank #2  
How hard is it to get off? If it isn't very hard that would definitely be what I would do. If it is hard to take off I would drain that gas and let it dry for about a day and try vacuuming it out.

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank #3  
A fuel filter may protect the engine, but do little for debris plugging the line exiting the tank.

Take the tank off and clean it.

Bruce

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank
How hard is it to get off? If it isn't very hard that would definitely be what I would do. If it is hard to take off I would drain that gas and let it dry for about a day and try vacuuming it out.

It appears that I have to take the entire body off to get to the fuel tank.

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank #5  
I'd try vacuuming it then. Without cleaning it it's almost guaranteed you'll clog up something.

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank #6  
I'd try vacuuming it then. Without cleaning it it's almost guaranteed you'll clog up something.
yea, when those gas fumes go by those sparking motor brushes it is great light show.

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank #7  
After you let it sit a day or so there's not a high enough concentration.

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank #9  
I think I would disconnect the bottom and water flood/wash it out. Vacuum it out and water flood/wash again and again until you can see no dirt in the tank. Then keep it in a locked shed. :)

/ Son put dirt in my riding mower gas tank #10  
Gasoline has very wide explosive limits, something from 5% to 98% IIRC. I would not go the vacuum route at least not until you have it mostly cleaned out.

You do need to get 99.9% of that dirt out of there or it will just clog the fuel filter. Instead of a vacuum, try blowing it out with air pressure. (Wear goggles!) Disconnect the line below and make sure that is clean.

When my kids were young, they put lime in the mower gas tank. I need to remind my son about that, LOL.