looking for used lawn tractor

/ looking for used lawn tractor #1  

Kosmo

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1715
Hi all. Been cutting my 1/3 acre lawn for years with a Toro personal pace mower but a recent neuropathy problem with my feet necessitates a riding mower. I'm on a limited budget so I'm looking for a reliable machine for about $300-$600. About 8 years ago I found a 417-8 wheel horse for $300 that I keep up at my cabin to cut about an acre and it's still running strong with occasional work that I can do myself. I see a lot of craigslist riders in this range but am leary of the newer box store brands that folks are selling that are 3-5 years old. Anyone have any insight. Again I'm just looking for something to keep the lawn cut and is easy to fix and maintain. I am seeing several Deere STX 30-38 models in that price range. Would this be a good choice? Thanks for your thoughts.

/ looking for used lawn tractor #2  
Box store machines are built to hit a price range. I sold my JD D130 after three years and 150hrs cutting 1 acre. Those models were notorious for bad transmissions (K46).
Cutting 1/3 acre should not put much work on a used machine. Maybe a used Toro or older JD 200 or 300 series. My neighbor has a JD 210 and 316 that are thirty years old. If he took care of them they would still be running. He used ethanol in them and can't get them started.

/ looking for used lawn tractor #3  
I bought an old MTD for a couple hundred bucks. Those old ones were US made and tough.

/ looking for used lawn tractor #6  
For all the bad stuff said about MTD, I bought a used Monkey Wards 1999 vintage with the variable drive and 16 hp Briggs industrial / commercial one lunger.

I've put it through all sorts of abuse, even clearing a large patch or two of iceplant that was easily 8" thick some years back. I had to sneak up on that, but eventually after multiple passes I was able to chop it into submission.

Aside from a couple of sets of spindle bearings, and enlarging the battery tray to fit a standard-size (and cheaper) battery, it's been great.
I also fabbed up new battery cables and replaced the starter solenoid with an automotive one...

Still runs, and I've not had a minute's trouble with the transaxle. The engine is really economical, and nearly indestructible.

(Not mine shown for reference only)
mtd.JPG

/ looking for used lawn tractor
Thanks for the replies folks. Anyone else with some good models to look for?

/ looking for used lawn tractor #9  
Look for something really common to your area. That way price tags should be lower, and parts should be easy to come by.
Like my '98 yard machines MTD. I got it used for a song about 5 years ago, has held up well, and parts are plentiful.