Zero turn prices and advice

/ Zero turn prices and advice #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
If I can sell my old john deere 1010 and little john deere 111 I would like to buy a zero turn mower. (my father in-law brought his exmark out last year and mowed my 2 1/4 yard in about 45 min. right now with with a 6 foot finish mower and the little jd 111 38 inch deck and rear bagger we mow and trim in about a hour and half with the trees and barns and house playset etc. I could find somthing to do with that extra time picked up by a zero turn mower. all those machines for sale if interested.

Here is what I would like to find out. My inlaws swear by the exmark. I like them as well I believe a 60 inch zero turn would be the best fit. I need somthing that in the fall will chop/blow the leaves into the woods for me and a machine that will last a long time. I have looked at exmark, toro (same company now) kubota and simplicity. we also have john deere ferris, great dane around here. I don't think I want a off brand that I need to drive a day to get parts for.

So my question is who has what zero turn what is the best priced 60 zero turn for the home owner? what are people paying for these machines?

thanks for the help

/ Zero turn prices and advice #2  
I would suggest you visit LawnSite.com to help you sort this out. I'm not sure you will find a 60" homeowner model (may be wrong). I've been looking at 48" -52" commercial grade ZTR and am finding prices in the 6K to 7K range. I would imagine you will be looking at upper 6K to mid 7K. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

/ Zero turn prices and advice #3  
If you want to mulch, Exmark and Gravely are the way to go. I've run Exmarks for 6 years now and they still mulch better than anything. My Gravely does almost as good but overall the Lazers are Superior in mulching. All the commercial Z's cut good but their mulching abilities are limited.
As for price, They are running a national promo on a 23 h.p. 60" basic Lazer for $6995. The mulch kit I think runs around $200 but to me it is well worth the money.
Samisam

/ Zero turn prices and advice #4  
What about a Dixon 50"? I've seen them priced in the 4000 range. Ofcourse they have larger models, but with size comes $$

Just curious what the opinion is on these, I dont know anyone that has owned one.

/ Zero turn prices and advice #5  
As a homeowner who wanted to trim their lawn cuttig time down, I find myself now wanting to get "Tractor" time instead of ZTR time. I mow about 2-3 acres with lots of trees, my house and my building interspersed. I bought a GRAVELY ZTR, 60 inch, with a 25HP kawasaki engine last year...the 260Z. The mower works great, and mows super fast.....less than an hour for the entire yard. The reason I bought the gravely over the Geat Dane, Scag, JD, kubota (pricey) is because the dealer was 1/4 mile away, AND I got more features. The gravely came with a nice suspension, multi-adjustable seat, hydraulic lift deck and maintenance free front spindles that were semi-independent. Price $6950

I am now TRADING in the ZTR, because I miss having a tractor, and I would like to spend a little more time mowing and less time at the whim and demands of my wife!!!

Good luck on your choice.

/ Zero turn prices and advice #6  
This post is a little dated but if you are still looking here is what I have to offer. I was looking last year for a ZTR and have some steap side hills that our Dixie Chopper had a hard time. I looked at and test the newer and wider DC but it still would not hold the hill. I tested a GrassHopper 225 (if I remember right) and it worked well. I ended up getting the 321D as I wanted a diesel. If you can stay in the seat it will hang on the hill (just like a goat). Anyhow so far we like it. If you don't have hills I'd have to recommend you test a few and take a stong look at the DC because they are FAST! I paid a little over $9k for the 321D and the DC I was looking at was a little over $8k.

/ Zero turn prices and advice #8  
<font color="red"> **** DIXON ZTR RECALL **** </font>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 21, 2002 Release # 02-124

CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) Media Contact: Yolanda Fultz-Morris 301-504-0580 extension 1219

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, Dixon Industries Inc., of Coffeyville Kansas is recalling about 28,000 riding lawn mowers. The fuel tanks on these mowers can crack and leak fuel, posing a fire hazard and risk of burn injuries to consumers. Dixon has received about 532 reports of fuel leaking from these mowers. There are no reports of injuries or property damage, other than minor lawn damage.

The recall includes the following model Dixon ZTR riding mowers, which are blue, with the serial numbers ins the following ranges:

Dixon ZTR
Serial Number Range
Model 2301 2555 thru 3100
Models 3303 and 3304 54241 thru 66276
Model 3014 14116 thru 23741
Model 4421 88987 thru 89316
Models 5020, 5022, 5023, 5503 2118 thru 6575
Models 5017, 5423, 5424, 5425 4580 thru 5835
Model 5502 8484 thru 8547
Model 5601 2103 thru 2116
Classic Series 97579 thru 97798 or 97844 thru 97883

/ Zero turn prices and advice #9  
   / Zero turn prices and advice #10  
AH SOW! MR greenthumb, Yes I too have been in checking out the differences in tractor mowing approx. 4 1/2 acres VS. ZTR mowing ,Time factor has quite a bit of value in my book these days. I'm currently using a 6' RFM and it takes about 3 1/2 hrs. w/out trim mowing! I looked at exmark 60"($7700) ferris 60"($6995) & gravely 60"($6195). I actually do know someone who has a ferris and he likes it, It seems that it a good middle of the road unit dependable,you just have to decide on options and engine make=kawasaki or kohler ...
My tractor is a diesel and very good on fuel ,I can cut my yard 4 times before refueling, But I doubt a gas powered ZTR will be able to get same amount of work done for fuel used, but thats the trade off...Can't compare apples to Oranges I suppose..
Back to original question gravely is probably what I will go with as a harry homeowner,But a ferris is up to commercial standards as is the rest you mention ,Personally I would rather buy used but not abused /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifThat lawnsite web site has a four blade disc system that seems to make a mulcher out of any mower. Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif